What is the magnitude of the vector product?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the vector product of two vectors, \vec{A} and \vec{B}, given as \vec{A} = 5.00\hat{i} + 2.00\hat{j} and \vec{B} = 3.00\hat{i} - 1.00\hat{j}, and determining the magnitude of the vector product. The solution involved using the determinant rule to find the z-component of the resultant vector, which was found to be -11\hat{k}. The magnitude was then calculated using the formula ABsin(\theta), resulting in a magnitude of 11.0. The conversation concluded with a discussion about the possibility of one of the answers being incorrect
Equilibrium

Homework Statement

Find the vector product [tex]\vec{A} \times \vec{B}[/tex] (expressed in unit vectors ) of the two vectors given. What is the magnitude of the vector product?
[tex]\vec{A} = 5.00\hat{i} + 2.00\hat{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{B} = 3.00\hat{i} - 1.00\hat{j}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{A}\vec{B}\sin(\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

using pythagorean theorem i found that the resultant of the two is
5.39 and 3.16

plus the total angle w/c is 40.2

using the formula mentioned above i found the answer as 11k and magnitude of 11.0

what i am confused is that it has a different answer from the back of my book w/c is -[tex]-17\hat{k},17.0[/tex]
who is wrong the book or me?
and pls show me why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer seems correct to me. As a double check, find the cross product by multiplying the components.

my answer is wrong
the unit vectors should be
using the determinant rule
z =AxBy - AyBy
z = 5(-1)-2(3)

z = -11

-11\hat{k}

and the magnitude is where u use ABsin(theta) =11.0

Why do you say your answer is wrong? (Note that both methods gave you the same answer.)

:confused:
how?

the components shud be positive??
now I am confused

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking. In your first post, you showed how you arrived at your solution. (Yes, your sign was wrong, but all you needed was the magnitude.) I said it was correct and asked you to double-check using a different method. You did and got the same answer for the magnitude. So why do you think your answer is wrong?

i thought this has two questions
Finding vector product AXB expressed in unit vectors and magnitude

Are you sure that you have both vectors stated properly? For example, flipping the x and y components of B yields the answer in the book: [tex]\vec B = 1.00\hat i - 3.00\hat j[/tex]. This is an easy mistake to make -- either by you or by the authors.

Good eye, D H. I'll bet that's it.

so the book is wrong then...

Equilibrium said:
so the book is wrong then...
One of you must be. For the problem as you described it here, your solution is correct. (Make sure you copied it correctly, as D H suggested.)

1. What does the magnitude of a vector product represent?

The magnitude of a vector product represents the length or size of the resulting vector when two vectors are multiplied using the cross product formula.

2. How is the magnitude of a vector product calculated?

The magnitude of a vector product is calculated by taking the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the sine of the angle between them.

3. Can the magnitude of a vector product be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of a vector product can be negative if the two vectors are perpendicular to each other and the angle between them is greater than 90 degrees.

4. What is the relationship between the magnitude of a vector product and the angle between the two vectors?

The magnitude of a vector product is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the two vectors. As the angle increases, the magnitude of the vector product also increases.

5. How does the magnitude of a vector product affect the direction of the resulting vector?

The magnitude of a vector product does not affect the direction of the resulting vector. The direction is solely determined by the right-hand rule and the orientation of the two vectors.