What is the Magnitude of Total Acceleration at Point A?

  • Thread starter Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acceleration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
smashbrohamme
Messages
97
Reaction score
1
Ok you have a disk that is originally rotating at a Wo=6rad/s. The Angular acceleration=4rad/s². Determine the magnitude of the total acceleration (combinaton of An and At) at point A just after 2 revolutions.

The Circle is a 2ft Diameter circle with point A being 1.5ft distance from the center.

Ok first in order to use the total acceleration equations which is An=W²r and At=*angularacceleration*r

you have to find the final angular velocity of this disk.

so you would use the equation W²=Wo²+2(4)(2pie*2) I converted to revolutions using 2pie.

that would give me a W=11.68.

Now that I have a W of the whole wheel, I can simple use the An,At formulas to find the true acceleration at POINT A.

An=(11.68)²*1.5= 204.6 r=1.5 is simply the distance from the center of POINT A right?
At=(4)(1.5)=6 same deal, R is simply 1.5 since it is the distance from the center, or distance of contact with POINT A.

Now you just simply do 204.6²+6²= and square root the answer...

I am making sure I am doing this correctly. Please verify if this is the correct way.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you're doing fine. And yes, you add the two accelerations in quadrature, because they are right-angle components of the total acceleration.