Calculate the Orbital Radius of a Planet

In summary: But if you were doing this in the real world you'd want to be more accurate with the time interval.In summary, using the given equation T=2pi * sqrt(r^3/(GM)), the radius of Planet X's orbit (r) was calculated to be 2.43 × 10^12 meters, but it may be slightly off due to the use of an approximate value for the period of 2.1 years. However, this does not affect the overall understanding of the problem.
Slurpee12

Homework Statement

Planet X of mass mx = 2.1 × 1024 kg orbits S in uniform circular motion at a distance rx and with a period Px = 2.1 years (=66225600 s). The mass of the star S is MS = 2 × 1031 kg and its radius is RS = 3.2 × 108m.

Homework Equations

T=2pi * sqrt(r3/(GM)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the above equation to derive: r=(3(√(T2GM)/4pi2) (where 3sqrt is cube root)
I then plugged in 66225600 for T, 6.67 × 10-11 for G, 2 × 1031 for M.
I solved for r, and I got 2.43 × 1012, but this isn't the correct answer. I'm not sure where/what I've done wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Slurpee12, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your derivation looks okay. Must be a calculator/finger issue :smile: Maybe break down the calculation into smaller parts and show your intermediate values and we can check them.

If you want to show your math in a more slick fashion you could try learning a bit of LaTeX syntax. You can embed it in your posts and it will be rendered automatically when viewed. If you look to the far left of the page on the level of the POST REPLY button you'll see a LaTeX link that will take you to a reference page. Using LaTeX syntax your formula would become:
$$r = \sqrt[3]{\frac{T^2 GM}{4 \pi^2}}$$
One thing I will mention is that the length of a year is actually a tad longer than 365 days. It's closer to 365.25 days. That's why we have leap years :wink: Presumably the number of seconds that was shown for 2.1 years was a given value for the problem, so you have to keep it that way.

Related to Calculate the Orbital Radius of a Planet

1. How do you calculate the orbital radius of a planet?

To calculate the orbital radius of a planet, you need to know its mass, the mass of the star it is orbiting, and the orbital period of the planet. The formula for orbital radius is:
R = [(G * M * T^2) / (4π^2)]^(1/3), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the star, and T is the orbital period of the planet.

2. What is the unit of measurement for orbital radius?

The unit of measurement for orbital radius is typically in astronomical units (AU), which is the average distance between the Earth and the Sun (149.6 million kilometers or 93 million miles).

3. Can the orbital radius of a planet change?

Yes, the orbital radius of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other planets, tidal forces, and changes in the mass of the planet or star it is orbiting.

4. How does the orbital radius affect a planet's temperature?

The orbital radius of a planet plays a significant role in determining its temperature. A planet that is closer to its star will receive more heat and have a higher temperature, while a planet that is further away will receive less heat and have a lower temperature. This is known as the "Goldilocks Zone" or the habitable zone, where a planet is at the right distance from its star to support life.

5. What is the significance of calculating the orbital radius of a planet?

Calculating the orbital radius of a planet is essential in understanding the dynamics of the solar system and how planets interact with each other. It also helps in determining whether a planet is suitable for life, as the distance from its star can affect its temperature and potential for liquid water. Additionally, knowing the orbital radius of a planet is crucial for space exploration and missions to other planets.