What is the mass of the raindrop?

• Thread starter JassC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the block requires a force of 2.4 N to move along at a constant velocity. The coefficient of static friction between the table and the block is 0.857142857 N.
JassC
#1.
The force of air resistance on a raindrop is 5 x 10^-5 N when it falls with a terminal velocity of 4.2 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
What is the mass of the raindrop? Answer in units of kg.

How would I do this question? My understanding is to divide the Force of air resistance on a raindriop by the acceleration of gravity to get the mass of the raindrop.

and the other question is,
#2.
007 (part 1 of 2) 5 points
A block weighing 6.9 N requires a force of 2.4 N to push it along at constant velocity.
What is the coefficient of friction for the surface?

I'm new to friction so I don't know what to do here..

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
JassC said:
#1.
The force of air resistance on a raindrop is 5 x 10^-5 N when it falls with a terminal velocity of 4.2 m/s.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
What is the mass of the raindrop? Answer in units of kg.

How would I do this question? My understanding is to divide the Force of air resistance on a raindrop by the acceleration of gravity to get the mass of the raindrop.
Sounds good to me, since at the terminal velocity the net force on the raindrop is zero the drag force is equal in magnitude to the force of gravity.
JassC said:
#2.
007 (part 1 of 2) 5 points
A block weighing 6.9 N requires a force of 2.4 N to push it along at constant velocity.
What is the coefficient of friction for the surface?

I'm new to friction so I don't know what to do here..
Do you know an equation which involves the applied force, normal force and the coefficient of friction?

1) First you need to understand the question well. Terminal velocity means means the sum of forces is zero. They've given you one force, which is air resistance. What's the other force? Be careful with the directions, forces are vectors.

2) Three things you need to know about friction:

i) Friction is a force.
ii) Friction always acts in the direction opposite of motion
iii) The formula for friction is (coefficient of friction) * (normal force).

In every physics problem, you MUST identify all the forces. There are 4 forces in your problem. The first one is weight, the second one is the normal force exerted on the block due to the weight, the third one is the force you apply to push it, and the fourth one is friction.

Since the block is not moving up or down, you know that the normal force equals to the weight.

But the block is moving along the surface, with a constant velocity. What does "constant velocity" tell you about the forces?

Okay I got it...

I have 2 more lol

Question #1
A 7kg block rests on a horizontal table, attached to a 6kg block by a light string as shown in the figure. The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s^2. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction such that the objects remain at rest? The answer is 0.857142857 N.

The second part of the question is...
If the coefficient of static friction is less than that found above, and if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the table is 0.3, find the time it takes for the 6kg mass to fall 10m to the floor if the system starts from rest. Answer in units of s.

Question #2
Pam has a mass of 40.9 kg and she is at rest on smooth, level, frictionless ice. Pam straps on a rocket pack. The rocket supplies a constant force for 18.2 m and Pam acquires a speed of 60.2 m/s.
What is the magnitude of the force? Answer in units of N.

So for this question, I first divided 18.2m / 60.2m/s to get the time. I then divided 60.2m/s / the time to get the acceleration. I then multiplied the acceleration and the mass to get the force. But it's wrong, where did I go wrong?

For Question #2, note that 60.2 m/s is the speed Pam acquires after traveling 18.2 m.

What are your thoughts regarding Question #1? Did you manage to solve the first part?

I'm thinking that I need to find the average velocity.

But I'm not sure what to do after.

Edit: and for Question 1, i don't know how to do the 2nd part.

Last edited:
Question #2

By Newton's 2nd Law, net force = mass x acceleration. Now, we consider forces in the horizontal direction since Pam is moving horizontally.

What is the net force acting on Pam? Is it constant? If it is, then Pam's acceleration is constant too. Are you able to find the value of this constant acceleration by using the information provided?

Question #1

Sometimes, the concepts of Kinematics and Dynamics can be applied in a single problem. Usually, acceleration will be the quantity that links these 2 topics. So, use Newton's 2nd Law to find the acceleration of the 6kg mass, and with the acceleration, you can apply a suitable Kinematics equation.

Last edited:
Yes you can find the constant acceleration.

1. What unit is used to measure the mass of a raindrop?

The unit used to measure the mass of a raindrop is typically grams (g) or milligrams (mg).

2. How is the mass of a raindrop determined?

The mass of a raindrop is determined by weighing it on a scale or by using specialized equipment such as a raindrop spectrometer.

3. Does the size of a raindrop affect its mass?

Yes, the size of a raindrop does affect its mass. Generally, larger raindrops have a higher mass than smaller raindrops.

4. What is the average mass of a raindrop?

The average mass of a raindrop is around 0.02 grams (or 20 milligrams).

5. How does the mass of a raindrop compare to other objects?

The mass of a raindrop is very small compared to most other objects. For example, a penny has a mass of around 2.5 grams, making it significantly heavier than a raindrop.