What is the maximum amplitude of oscillation of the system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 14K views
songoku
Messages
2,521
Reaction score
395

Homework Statement


A large block P executes horizontal simple harmonic motion as it slides across a frictionless surface with a frequency f = 1.5 Hz. Block B rests on it, as shown in the figure, and the coefficient of static friction between the two is 0.6. What is the maximum amplitude of oscillation of the system so that block B dos not slip?


Homework Equations


[tex]a=-\omega ^2*A[/tex]

[tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution



[tex]a=\omega ^2*A[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F}{m}=(2\pi f)^2*A[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{\mu _s*N}{m*(2\pi f)^2}[/tex]

[tex]A=\frac{\mu _s*mg}{m*(2\pi f)^2}[/tex]

[tex]A=6.62~cm[/tex]

Do I get it right?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org


It looks good to me!
I haven't seen that acceleration formula before, so I'm no expert on this.
 


Hi Delphi51

It's formula for maximum acceleration of simple harmonic motion. Thanks a lot for your reply.
 


SAT2400 said:
a = - w^2 * A or a = w^2 *A??

which is right??

[tex]a=-\omega ^2 A[/tex] is right because acceleration is vector. The negative sign indicates that the direction of the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the direction of motion of the particle.

In my case, I just need the numerical value so I omit the negative sign