What is the maximum force exerted on a bullet lodged in a block?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kminkel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Block Bullet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
kminkel
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 10.0-g bullet traveling at 200 m/s strikes a fixed wooden block. The bullet comes to rest 22 cm inside the block. The magnitude of the force exerted on the bullet by the block over its 22-cm travel is shown in graph. Find the value of Fmax.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/135229669/Physics

Homework Equations



W=Fd
W=KE=.5mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to treat is as a work problem and set Fd=.5mv^2.
I got an answer, but it wasn't one available to me.
I don't know what I am missing
 
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kminkel! welcome to pf! :smile:
kminkel said:
W=Fd

use the more general work done = integral of force "dot" distance :wink:

(W = ∫ F.ds)

show us what you get :smile:​
 
Your idea is a good one, except the equation is only Fd for constant F. The graph shows F varies with distance, so what you're really doing is integral of F*dx.

Find the area under the curve (triangular + rectangular regions) and try setting that equal to the KE.

Edit: Looks like I was beaten to it!
 
With using the W=.5mv^2, I got the W=200 J.
But with the integral what would I use as the bounds? Would it be from 0 to .11 m or 0 to .22 m? Then how would you get rid of the integral symbol to solve for F. I'm sort of really confused.
 
You are integrating over the whole distance that the force is being applied (0 to 0.22m). If integrals are unfamiliar to you, just think of it like area.

Set the area under the curve from 0 to 0.22m equal to KE.
 
If I set the areas equal to .5mv^2...
.11x+.5(.22)x=.5(.01)(200)^2
.11x+.11x= 200
.22x=200
x=909.09
That isn't an option /:
 
kminkel said:
But with the integral what would I use as the bounds?

uhh? :confused: don't make it so complicated! :biggrin:

the integral of a curve is the area under it :smile:

(and yes, sometimes physics questions really are that simple! :wink:)
 
kminkel said:
If I set the areas equal to .5mv^2...
.11x+.5(.22)x=.5(.01)(200)^2
.11x+.11x= 200
.22x=200
x=909.09
That isn't an option /:


I see my error. I have the wrong base for the triangle. I fixed it and got 1212.12 which is an option! Thank you Both so much!