What is the meaning behind this joyful Jewish song?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
91 replies · 15K views
Who By Fire - Leonard Cohen.

You hear it in the background in malls, etc, often - sounds like a light ditty. Never paid much attention to it, then heard it recently very clear and close up, giving me a new perspective. Had one of those musical chill moments ..

"Who shall I say id calling" ?, ie, (IMO) what death is approaching you, or what death do you choose.



And who by fire,
who by water,
who in the sunshine,
who in the night time,
who by high ordeal,
who by common trial,
who in your merry merry month of may,
who by very slow decay
and who shall I say is calling?

And who in her lonely slip,
who by barbiturate,
who in these realms of love,
who by something blunt,
and who by avalanche,
who by powder,
who for his greed,
who for his hunger,
and who shall I say is calling?

And who by brave assent,
who by accident,
who in solitude,
who in this mirror,
who by his lady's command,
who by his own hand,
who in mortal chains,
who in power,
and who shall I say is calling?
-- Leonard Cohen
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The words go:
Oye you ya you ay ay ay oyeeee! YA! da da da da oye oye oye oye!
(and then you sing is over again)

http://www.chabadmidtown.com/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/254257/jewish/Nigun-Simcha-I.htm