What is the Meaning of Temperature at Equilibrium?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
arcteus
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Heya!

I've done my statistical mechanics course, but still. Whenever I see the temperature, a question pops up in my head! So I'm curious to see if someone can help me with this obsession!

Temperature is defined as

T = (dS/dE)^-1

S: amount of accessible microstates
E: energy

1) temperature is defined at equilibrium. this should mean approximately constant energy. yet this definition implies a variation of energy. O,O

-> is the ghost of Heisenberg behind this (energy defined always as part of an interval)?

2) at equilibrium, I expect S to be at its maximum. so dS/dE should be equal to 0! and 1/0, well...

I'm very curious to see ideas about this!
Thanks for any ideas!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well first of all this is the definition in the microcanonical ensemble. Because of this energy for the ensemble is constant. So when you speak dS/dE, what this means is how much the equilibrium entropy will change by changing the ensemble energy by dE.

In this ensemble the entropy is actually a slowly increasing function of energy, so it doesn't reach a maximum, but this isn't an issue because you contrict the available equilibrium states to those of a particular energy defined by the ensemble.