Mazulu said:
Something like a [itex]u^{\gamma}[/itex] is just a simple vector.
It's the component of a vector in a basis. What you wrote as [itex]\vec{A} = A_{1}\hat{e}_{1} + A_{2}\hat{e}_{2} + A_{3}\hat{e}_{3}[/itex], can be written as [itex]A=A^\mu e_\mu[/itex].
Mazulu said:
I keep wondering if the metric tensor g has anything to do with g as gravitational acceleration.
We still need a metric even when there's no such thing as gravity (i.e. in special relativity), but if you're asking if the choice of the symbol g was inspired by it, then I don't know, but it's possible, since a lot of differential geometry was developed after it was discovered that it was needed in general relativity.
Mazulu said:
So if I write something like [itex]g^{\alpha \gamma}e_{\gamma} = e_{\gamma}[/itex], then I am writing down a transformation of the basis unit vector.
Consider an example: If [itex]g^{\alpha\beta}[/itex] denotes the components of the metric of Minkowski spacetime in an inertial coordinate system, then what you wrote down means [tex]g^{\alpha 0}e_0+g^{\alpha 1}e_1 +g^{\alpha 2}e_2+g^{\alpha 3}e_3=e_\gamma[/tex] and this simplifies to [tex]-e_0+e_1+e_2+e_3=e_\gamma[/tex] which is clearly false for all [itex]\gamma[/itex], assuming that [itex]\{e_\alpha\}_{\alpha=0}^3[/itex] is a basis.
Mazulu said:
Now [itex]e^{\alpha}e_\beta = \delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/itex] is starting to make sense.
It's the definition of a basis on V*. This is explained in the post I linked to earlier, and more details can be found in the first of the three posts I linked to in the end of that one.
Mazulu said:
I do wonder about those one form [itex]e^{\beta}[/itex] differential objects. How do differentials enter the picture?
For any smooth function [itex]f:U\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex], there's a cotangent vector [itex](df)_p\in T_pM^*[/itex] for each [itex]p\in U[/itex]. I think some authors would call each [itex](df)_p[/itex] a 1-form, and the map [itex]p\mapsto (df)_p[/itex] a 1-form field, and that others would just call [itex](df)_p[/itex] a cotangent vector and [itex]p\mapsto(df)_p[/itex] a 1-form. [itex](df)_p[/itex] is the cotangent vector defined by [itex](df)_p(v)=v(f)[/itex] for all [itex]v\in T_pM[/itex].
There are several ways to define the tangent space [itex]T_pM[/itex]. (Click the last link in the post I linked to earlier for more information). When we define [itex]T_pM[/itex] as a space of derivative operators, the basis vectors associated with the coordinate system [itex]x:V\rightarrow \mathbb R^n[/itex] are the partial derivative operators [itex]\left.\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}\right|_p[/itex] (defined in that post), and the dual of this basis is [itex]\{(dx^\mu)_p\}[/itex], where [itex]x^\mu[/itex] is the function that takes [itex]p\in V[/itex] to [itex](x(p))^\mu[/itex].