What Is the Minimum Coefficient of Friction Required to Navigate a Curve Safely?

  • Thread starter Thread starter reticpythons
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
reticpythons
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A flat (unbanked) curve on a highway has a radius of 260 m. A car rounds the curve at a speed of 18.0 m/s . What is the minimum coefficient of friction that will prevent sliding?


Homework Equations



A= v2/R I got the acceleration but the problem does not give the mass for caluculating the normal force

The Attempt at a Solution


1.246 m/s is what I got for the acceleration after that I do not know what I should be doing.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi reticpythons, welcome to PF.
The car rounds the curve due to the centripetal force provided by the frictional force.
write down the expression for both and equate them to get the required result.
 
the centripetal force is v2/R but I can not think of what i need to equate it to Fnet= Fn-fk=ma but I do not have mass or I might be totally spacing something I should know but I am looking through my notes and can not find or think of anything
 
reticpythons said:
the centripetal force is v2/R but I can not think of what i need to equate it to Fnet= Fn-fk=ma but I do not have mass or I might be totally spacing something I should know but I am looking through my notes and can not find or think of anything
Normal force is mg and frictional force is μ*mg.
Centripetal force is m*v^2/r. Frictional force provides centripetal force to the car to go round the curve without skidding.
Equate them to find μ.