What is the minimum tension (in Newtons) in the angled rope?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two hanging blocks connected by a rope at a 26.9 degree angle to a wall. The goal is to determine the minimum tension in the angled rope to maintain equilibrium. The coefficient of friction between the surface and the heavier block is also given. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations T-mgsinθ=ma and F=ma, but the student is struggling to find the correct approach and may be making mistakes in their calculations. To avoid errors, it is recommended to show all steps and minimize the use of numbers until the algebra is complete.
bah83

Homework Statement

A hanging 2.00-kg (19.6N) block begins to accelerate a 4.28-kg (41.94N) block on a horizontal surface. But a rope connected to the wall at 26.9 degrees brings the block to an equilibrium position. The coefficient of friction between the surface and the 4.28-kg (41.94N) block is 0.162.

What is the minimum tension (in Newtons) in the angled rope that maintains this equilibrium condition?

The answer is 15.6 Newtons but I cannot figure out how to get there.
Here's a picture: http://gbhsweb.glenbrook225.org/gbs/science/phys/chemphys/audhelp/u8setf/q14.gif

Homework Equations

T-mgsinθ=ma so T=ma+mgsinθ
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many different ways. I've tried to find both the horizontal and vertical forces of the rope and picturing it as a triangle. I may just be adding the forces wrong or using the wrong equations. I found that the frictional force of the 41.94N block is 6.79N. I thought that the tension of the rope between the two blocks is 19.6N (equal to the weight of the hanging one). I thought I had found the answer when I subtracted 6.79+19.6 from 41.94 (equals 15.55). But I know that isn't the right way to do it. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your working one step at a time ... do not substitute any numbers until all the algebra is finished.

Most likely mistakes include:
getting the trig wrong for the rope to the wall.
forgetting the upwards pull of that rope when calculating friction.

Other possible source errors are trivial arithmetical mistakes
Recently, one student here had made a very long and good calculation, but made the mistake 16*2=28 at one point.
Such mistakes occur OFTEN, for all of us, and is one of the major reasons why you should MINIMIZE the number of steps in which you use numbers, rather than letters.

1. What is tension in a rope?

Tension is the force exerted on a rope or any other object when it is pulled tight by opposing forces.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as Newtons (N) in the metric system or pounds (lbs) in the imperial system.

3. What factors affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by the force applied to it, the length and thickness of the rope, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. What is the minimum tension in an angled rope?

The minimum tension in an angled rope is the least amount of force needed to keep the rope taut and maintain its angle.

5. How do you calculate the minimum tension in an angled rope?

The minimum tension in an angled rope can be calculated using the formula T = F/sinθ, where T is the tension, F is the applied force, and θ is the angle at which the force is applied.