What is the most effective way to compare answers on hw with someone?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Simfish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Compare
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Simfish
Gold Member
Messages
811
Reaction score
2
So I often ask fellow classmates for their email addresses so that I can compare homework with them, when I haven't interacted with them before (I do try to discuss something about the homework first though). Do people find this "creepy"? Since when I email them, they frequently seem to be unenthusiastic about giving replies (and most of the time they just don't reply at all).

Are there any better ways of comparing answers? I always try to give them my answer first (and a short list of my thought processes) to show them that I'm not simply trying to copy off them. Do people respond better if you try to call them? (is it okay to ask them for their phone # along with their email address?) And is there a time when people prefer to receive emails?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to them before or after class. If they gave you their email but don't respond, I don't know, that's a little rude.

I will say this though. I have met a number of people who really really wanted to work on homework with me. Most of the time when they are overly enthusiastic, they just want me to do the homework for them. The worst is when I help them, but they can't even come up with a few casual ideas about the problems I'm stuck on. Make sure you're not guilty of this. Nobody will want to work with you if there is not an equitable exchange of information.
 
Last edited: