What is the Name of this Unknown Molecule?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bohrok
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molecule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Bohrok
Messages
867
Reaction score
0
I've studied a little organic chemistry but I couldn't figure it out. I've never seen it before but I'm sure it's simple to name, yet I couldn't find anything on Google.

140yrns.jpg
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
poly-cyclic carbon molecules linked by a single carbon are colled "Spiro" molecules, they're named as a single chain with the 'spiro' prefix, and the number of carbons in each ring in brackets (besides the linking carbon, which is called the 'spirocarbon').

The molecule above is therefore called spiro[4.4]nonane

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiro_compound this explains it.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much, that was bugging me for some time.