What Is the Natural Angular Frequency of a Cantilevered Body?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
zorro
Messages
1,378
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A body A weighing 22N is positioned on the end of a slender horizontal cantilever fixed at one end (mass of the plank is negligible). A force (vertically downwards) on A causes a deflection of 12.5mm. The natural angular frequency in rad/s of the body A is (nearly) ?

1)2
2)6
3)24
4)1.2

The Attempt at a Solution

F=kx
k=22/0.0125

w=(k/m)1/2=28rad/s, not in the choices. Did I make any mistake?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Abdul Quadeer said:
What are W,E and I?

Actually now that I see that formula, it is essentially the same as what you did.

The most I can say is 24 rad/s would be the best answer given that you need to choose from those 4.