1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion and angular frequency

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal plank of mass m and length L is pivoted at one end. The plank's other end is supported by a spring of force constant k (see the figure below). The plank is displaced by a small angle θ from its horizontal equilibrium position and released. Find the angular frequency with which the plank moves with simple harmonic motion. (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

The picture is uploaded

2. Relevant equations
    ##\omega## = ##\frac{\tau}{I}## (where omega is angular frequency)
    F = kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I said the force that puts the plank back to equilibrium is kx. Using the definition of arc length, I said kx = k##\theta##L. A force of Mg is also acting on the plank, so I had the total torque = K##\theta##L-Mg*##\frac{L}{2}## I know that the moment of inertia is ##\frac{1}{3}##M##L^2##. Using the formula for ##\omega##, I had ##\sqrt{\frac{k\theta L-Mg\frac{L}{2}}{3ML}}## But this is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This is a force, not a torque.

The units don't match afterwards due to this mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted