What is the net force on a miniature sub hatch at 8.5m depth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kiwikahuna
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kiwikahuna
Messages
60
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A miniature sub is lowered to a depth of 8.5 m in sea water of density 1.03 grams/cc. The interior of the research craft is maintained at 1.0 atm. Find the net force that must be withstood by a 1.5 m diameter hatch which leads to the inside.


Homework Equations



Pressure = density * gravity * height
Pressure = P (atmospheric) + density * gravity * height
Mass = density * area* height

The Attempt at a Solution



Pressure = 101300 + 1030 kg/m^3 (9.81m/s^2) * 8.5m
Once I found the pressure, I multipied it by the area (pi r^2)
The answer I got was wrong and I'm wondering what I did wrong. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must consider the pressure on BOTH sides of the hatch.