Converting pressure to atomspheres

• Thread starter dlp248
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, at a depth of 10,900 meters in the ocean, the pressure is approximately 1.10x10^8 N/m^2 or 1086 atmospheres. This calculation was based on the mass density of seawater being 1030 kg/m^3 and using the equation pressure = mass density x gravity x height.
dlp248

Homework Statement

The deepest part of the ocean is about 10,900 meters deep. Calculate the pressure at that depth in units of N/m^2. Mass density for seawater is 1030 kg/m^3. Then convert the pressure to the number of atmospheres given one atmosphere is 1.013x10^5 N/m^2.

Homework Equations

pressure = mass density x gravity x height

The Attempt at a Solution

p= (1030 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(10,900 m)
p= 1.10x10^8 N/m^2

1 atmosphere = 1.013x10^5 N/m^2

1.10x10^8 N/m^2 / 1.013x10^5 N/m^2 = 1086 atmospheres.

I know that number is wrong. My guess is there are about 1.3 - 1.4 atmospheres of pressure there, but I can't get the math to find an exact number for that conversion. What is the best way to convert pressure to atmospheres?

Physics news on Phys.org
Imagine a column of water with a cross section of 1 m2 and 10900 m high. It's easy to calculate how much does it weigh... At 1030 kg/m3, its mass is 10900 m3 * 1030 kg/m3 = 11,2270 * 106 kg. Ant it weighs 11,2270 * 106 * 9,8 = 1,10025 *108 N. The pressure is the same, in N/m2

Using the equivalence 1 atm = 1.01325 * 105, I get the same figure as you: 1086 atm.

It's a reasonable figure. The pressure at a point 15 m deep, in fresh water, is already 1,5 atm...

In what way is that number wrong? On what do you base your guess of 1.3 - 1.4 atmospheres?

I note that you didn't account for the fact that the atmosphere itself lies above the ocean surface and presses down with its own pressure...

dlp248 said:

Homework Statement

The deepest part of the ocean is about 10,900 meters deep. Calculate the pressure at that depth in units of N/m^2. Mass density for seawater is 1030 kg/m^3. Then convert the pressure to the number of atmospheres given one atmosphere is 1.013x10^5 N/m^2.

Homework Equations

pressure = mass density x gravity x height

The Attempt at a Solution

p= (1030 kg/m^3)(9.8 m/s^2)(10,900 m)
p= 1.10x10^8 N/m^2

1 atmosphere = 1.013x10^5 N/m^2

1.10x10^8 N/m^2 / 1.013x10^5 N/m^2 = 1086 atmospheres.

I know that number is wrong. My guess is there are about 1.3 - 1.4 atmospheres of pressure there, but I can't get the math to find an exact number for that conversion. What is the best way to convert pressure to atmospheres?

This is why one learns physics: so you are not guessing about things so much.

Thanks guys. I guess when I saw the number I questioned myself. It'll come with more practice.

SteamKing said:
This is why one learns physics: so you are not guessing about things so much.

That is the exact why reason I am loving physics! I'm in the base introductory course at my college this semester so I can get my calc done and then off to bigger and better things! Planning on getting a BS in physics!

1. How do you convert pressure to atmospheres?

To convert pressure to atmospheres, you can use the following formula: 1 atmosphere = 101,325 pascals. This means that if you have a pressure measurement in pascals, you can divide it by 101,325 to convert it to atmospheres.

2. What is the difference between pressure and atmospheres?

Pressure is a measure of the force exerted on a unit area, while atmospheres is a unit of measurement for pressure. 1 atmosphere is equal to the average air pressure at sea level on Earth.

3. Can you convert pressure to atmospheres in different units?

Yes, you can convert pressure to atmospheres from different units such as pascals, torr, or bar. You will need to use conversion factors specific to each unit to convert to atmospheres.

4. Why is it important to convert pressure to atmospheres?

Converting pressure to atmospheres allows for easier comparison of pressure measurements across different systems. It is also a commonly used unit in atmospheric and environmental science.

5. Is there a specific tool or calculator for converting pressure to atmospheres?

Yes, there are many online conversion calculators and tools available for converting pressure to atmospheres. You can also use scientific calculators with conversion functions or consult conversion tables for accurate conversions.