What is the net torque given the angles of applied forces

In summary, the net torque is the sum of the torques from each force and the net force is the sum of the two forces. To determine the signs of the forces, determine the direction of movement and if clockwise the force is negative, and if counterclockwise the force is positive. Then add the forces together to find the net torque.
tatiana
1. STATEMENT

Calculate the net torque about a fixed pointfor 2 different forces given the angles of the applied forces.

2. MY QUESTION

what is the net force, meaning how do i fint it? and what do i do wit the information given? Do i use T=r x F...

Physics news on Phys.org

tatiana said:
1. STATEMENT

Calculate the net torque about a fixed pointfor 2 different forces given the angles of the applied forces.

2. MY QUESTION

what is the net force, meaning how do i fint it? and what do i do wit the information given? Do i use T=r x F...
I think your question should have read, "..what is the net torque...?". In which case the net torque is the sum of the torques from each force , that is, Tnet = r1 X F1 + r2 X F2, where the direction of each torque (positive or negative) depends upon whether each torque is acting counterclockwise or clockwise about that fixed point.

The net force is simple the sum of the two forces. To determine the signs of the forces you must determine the direction the force is moving, either counterclockwise or clockwise. If clockwise the force is negative, and if counterclockwise the force is positive. Once you have determined the signs of the forces you simple add them together and you have your net torque.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. What is net torque?

Net torque is the sum of all the torques acting on an object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of each torque to determine the overall effect on the object's rotational motion.

3. How is net torque calculated?

To calculate net torque, you must first determine the magnitude and direction of each individual torque acting on the object. Then, you can add or subtract these torques depending on their direction to find the total net torque.

4. How do angles of applied forces affect net torque?

The angles of applied forces can greatly impact the net torque on an object. If the forces are applied at perpendicular angles, they will have a greater net torque than if they were applied at smaller angles. Additionally, the direction of the forces can also affect the net torque.

5. What is the significance of net torque in regards to an object's rotational motion?

Net torque plays a critical role in determining the rotational motion of an object. If the net torque is zero, the object will not rotate. If the net torque is greater than zero, the object will rotate in the direction of the net torque. And if the net torque is less than zero, the object will rotate in the opposite direction of the net torque.