What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
I can see Enrique, but where is Glesias? More problems parsing, specially when they (Miss?) spell it Yglesias. Though I guess/hope it won't be a problem in many situations; not like a self-driving car will need to decide if they are one or not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They repeated Independence Day this week. Then I thought: Given our consumption of natural resources, added to the fact that our living place will be gone in 2-3 Gy, plus the Andromeda collision ahead: Are we those aliens, we are constantly been warned of?
 
This little girl is remarkable.

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto, OCR, Borg and 1 other person
Well, that was exciting. It turns out that if you start a large bonfire under a five story tall conifer on a dry day, said conifer will catch fire all up one side and the fire brigade will be called.

I'd put this in "today I learned", except I could have told them it was a bad idea before they started. "Today my neighbours learned" thread, anybody?
 
Ibix said:
Well, that was exciting. It turns out that if you start a large bonfire under a five story tall conifer on a dry day, said conifer will catch fire all up one side and the fire brigade will be called.

I'd put this in "today I learned", except I could have told them it was a bad idea before they started. "Today my neighbours learned" thread, anybody?
The very first article of our constitution says: "Dignity of man is untouchable."
My all time favorite bumper sticker says: "Stupidity of man is untouchable."

O.k. it is in the same category as "Beam me up, Scotty!" but I find the silent quotation of the constitution better.
 
dlgoff said:
This little girl is remarkable.

Yes, very remarkable. The chorus makes me think of the oldie, "Counting Flowers on the Wall," by the Statler Brothers, from back in 1966.

The little girl seems to really get into her playing, dancing around, with a lot of flourishes. Great tune!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
fresh_42 said:
"Beam me up, Scotty!"
If I remember right, both "Beam me up, Mr Scott", and "Beam us up, Scotty" were used, but never the actual famous phrase. I wonder why the never-used one is the one everyone remembers? Is it the cadence? It just rolls off the tongue easily?

Apparently one should never have a Martini shaken (it "bruises the alcohol"), and in the books Mr Bond always orders a Martini - stirred not shaken. But "Martini - shaken not stirred" has a better rhythm to it, so the films have him ordering it "wrong".
 
Ibix said:
If I remember right, both "Beam me up, Mr Scott", and "Beam us up, Scotty" were used, but never the actual famous phrase. I wonder why the never-used one is the one everyone remembers? Is it the cadence? It just rolls off the tongue easily?

Apparently one should never have a Martini shaken (it "bruises the alcohol"), and in the books Mr Bond always orders a Martini - stirred not shaken. But "Martini - shaken not stirred" has a better rhythm to it, so the films have him ordering it "wrong".
Just beam us up with a Martini, either shaken, stirred or both?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
fresh_42 said:
The very first article of our constitution says: "Dignity of man is untouchable."
My all time favorite bumper sticker says: "Stupidity of man is untouchable."

O.k. it is in the same category as "Beam me up, Scotty!" but I find the silent quotation of the constitution better.
And it is also not " Reach out and _Grab_ someone" , but "Reach out and _Touch _ someone".
But it seems I am the only one I know who remembers it that way.
 
WWGD said:
Just beam us up with a Martini, either shaken, stirred or both?
An innovative combination of transporter and replicater technology, to be sure.

Martini, Earl Grey, Hot.
 
Ibix said:
An innovative combination of transporter and replicater technology, to be sure.

Martini, Earl Grey, Hot.
My API will not handle that. Need special protocol for Tea and Martini (Mar(Tea)ni)?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
WWGD said:
My API will not handle that. Need special protocol for Tea and Martini (Mar(Tea)ni)?
Sounds like a marketing niche for a bottled drink. LiptonIce Marteani?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Ibix said:
Sounds like a marketing niche for a bottled drink. LiptonIce Marteani?
Sounds at least as it was made for the European market. Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states, I've been told you can't get Mon Chéri there.
 
fresh_42 said:
Sounds at least as it was made for the European market. Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states, I've been told you can't get Mon Chéri there.
Maybe one needs a liquor license, which I heard is expensive. Do you need them in Europe too?
 
fresh_42 said:
Not sure whether hidden alcohol is allowed in the states
They've hidden the alcohol in their commercial beers. I certainly never noticed any.

Some microbrews, however...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
WWGD said:
Maybe one needs a liquor license, which I heard is expensive. Do you need them in Europe too?
Not that I knew of. I can buy Lagavullin in the same store I buy coke, beer or water.
 
fresh_42 said:
Not that I knew of. I can buy Lagavullin in the same store I buy coke, beer or water.
I bought Roller Blades, Rat Poison and a Spare Bicycle Tire in one of the big new chain stores ( I think it was CVS ).
 
At least you can have liquors in basically any supermarket. They aren't allowed to sell it to people younger than 18, but that's all.
 
fresh_42 said:
At least you can have liquors in basically any supermarket. They aren't allowed to sell it to people younger than 18, but that's all.
I guess that comes with the corresponding 15-17 year-olds standing outside and asking you to buy some for them?
 
Not so much as in American movies / shows. They usually know small shops which don't really care or find an eighteen year old to do it. The favorite drinks are those Red Bull mixtures, Coke with Whiskey and similar drinks which hide the alcohol. Not sure in which category they fall, but considering the occasional public discussions and the relatively low overall alcohol, I assume those drinks are no problems.

It's all in all far more relaxed here. I mean I was - I think 40 - as I had been refused to enter an American music bar without ID card, which I hadn't with me on purpose (so it could not have been stolen). This was simply ridiculous.
 
I guess I acted like the nerd I saw in other people by pointing out unnecessary detail , re the old line " A set is not like a door: either open or closed...".
I said (along the lines) : Actually, a door can have more accurately, three states: open, closed and locked: a door may be closed but not locked. Great point, very enlightening on my part (right) \sarc
 
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/business/china-tariffs-trump.html
Chinese Goods May Face 25% Tariffs, Not 10%, as Trump’s Anger Grows

WASHINGTON — President Trump escalated his trade war with China on Wednesday, ordering his administration to consider more than doubling proposed tariffs on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to 25 percent from 10 percent, as talks between Washington and Beijing remain at a standstill.

Mr. Trump instructed the United States trade representative to look into increasing tariffs on Chinese imports like fish, petroleum, chemicals, handbags and other goods to 25 percent, a significant step in a dispute that is beginning to take a toll on industries and consumers in both countries. A final decision on the size and scope of the tariffs is not expected before September.

The effort to further punish China is being led by hard-line advisers to Mr. Trump, who believe inflicting painful measures on Beijing is the best way to force it back to the negotiating table on trade. But that approach is once again creating fissures within Mr. Trump’s own team, with his Treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, adamantly opposed to ratcheting up the tariffs and Peter Navarro, a key trade adviser, advocating the higher duties, people with knowledge of the discussions said. Stephen K. Bannon, who left the White House last August, has also been counseling the president to pursue tougher tariffs, according to people familiar with his thinking.

The potential for a 25 percent tax is being fueled by deep frustration within the Trump administration over its unsuccessful attempts to press China to change its trade practices, as well as by a sharp decline in the value of China’s currency. Administration officials have also been concerned that China may be manipulating prices of commodities like soybeans to harm American farmers, and hurting American companies through regulatory practices — for example, detaining shipments of agricultural products in customs until they rot.
Anyone think this will happen?

I was listening to a debate between Robert Reich and Trump's economic adviser Stephen Moore last week (can be found on YouTube - pretty cool chat/debate). Moore said something interesting in it. He said Trump's train of thought on a trade war with the likes of a China is that the U.S.' position is the strongest and the other countries need us more than we need them. In other words, their economies require more of our goods and services than we do of theirs to function and grow. He felt that the first person to blink would be other nations.

In any case, even if that is true (not saying it is), certain industries might take a pounding in the short-run.
 
Last edited:
kyphysics said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/business/china-tariffs-trump.html
Chinese Goods May Face 25% Tariffs, Not 10%, as Trump’s Anger GrowsAnyone think this will happen?

I was listening to a debate between Robert Reich and Trump's economic adviser Stephen Moore last week (can be found on YouTube - pretty cool chat/debate). Moore said something interesting in it. He said Trump's train of thought on a trade war with the likes of a China is that the U.S.' position is the strongest and the other countries need us more than we need them. In other words, their economies require more of our goods and services than we do of theirs to function and grow. He felt that the first person to blink would be other nations.

In any case, even if that is true (not saying it is), certain industries might take a pounding in the short-run.

There is also the fact that other countries may try to find suppliers who may choose to negotiate rather than start a trade war. Exports are only around 20% of Chinese GNP AFAIK, so , while it may hurt, the pain is likely bearable.
 
No politics, please. This is a door which can hardly be closed again. Not to mention locked.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
There is also the fact that other countries may try to find suppliers who may choose to negotiate rather than start a trade war. Exports are only around 20% of Chinese GNP AFAIK, so , while it may hurt, the pain is likely bearable.
Yeah, maybe on the "top end" services, there aren't any alternative suppliers (at least none that come close to U.S. expertise), though. I'm not sure.

fresh_42 said:
No politics, please. This is a door which can hardly be closed again. Not to mention locked.

Hey, fresh

Was that in reference to my post about the tariffs? If so, I was thinking it would be more in the realm of economics or world affairs than politics. Nonetheless, if you're saying it's off limits too, then I'll stop after this post.
 
skyshrimp said:
It's strange how we go to such great lengths to find life on other planets by looking for bodies of water, yet destroy our own ocean ecosystems by ruthlessly bottom trawling and dumping plastic waste into it.
Yeah. Almost like we are looking for an exit strategy.
 
Mark44 said:
Yes, very remarkable. The chorus makes me think of the oldie, "Counting Flowers on the Wall," by the Statler Brothers, from back in 1966.

The little girl seems to really get into her playing, dancing around, with a lot of flourishes. Great tune!

Knowing how hard it is to play a violin, from those who've tried; no frets and all, she blew my mind. :bow: