What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Still trying to figure out if @Mark44 and 'Mark Forums Read' are the same person. Unusual , I guess native American last name, but, you never know.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Still trying to figure out if @Mark44 and 'Mark Forums Read' are the same person. Unusual , I guess native American last name, but, you never know.
Sometimes I go by Mark4umsRead, but Mark44 is shorter.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Craftek_Ana, fresh_42 and WWGD
WWGD said:
Still trying to figure out if @Mark44 and 'Mark Forums Read' are the same person. Unusual , I guess native American last name, but, you never know.
By the way. Do you think we can get a proper thermodynamic treatment, or at least the differential equation of "Hot Threads"?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Craftek_Ana
I thought that was what the "Shazzam" icon was for.
 
Which one do you mean? You authored 3 hot threads on page one! So if anyone then you can tell the differential equation of the heat transfer going on in this list.
 
fresh_42 said:
Which one do you mean? You authored 3 hot threads on page one! So if anyone then you can tell the differential equation of the heat transfer going on in this list.
Strangely-enough, I can only see it on my phone, not on the PC.
 
strangerep said:
The picture is a fake. He saved the bees, not the lady.
image.jpg
 
Mailbox cleaning day. I feel lighter after deleting 1705 messages. Thanks to searchbox and Ctrl+A it just took some 8 minutes, much more than it took me in earlier days. Incredible, after having done this almost monthly for a few years I still have some 19,000 messages.
 
A joke my friend and I played with each other led to an interesting result. I We pretended to be each other in internet Mathsites and asked (seemingly) absurd questions. I pretended to be him and asked: What is the square root of ##\mathbb R^3 ##. Someone believed I was asking if ##\mathbb R^3 ## was homeomorphic to a product ##\mathbb X \times \mathbb X ## and gave an elaborate argument in response, something I was not expecting.
 
It seems thanks to autocorrect, they were about to pass a law approving of Cannibalism ( Cannabis). Should be interesting.
 
WWGD said:
It seems thanks to autocorrect, they were about to pass a law approving of Cannibalism
I find that hard to swallow.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and WWGD
DrGreg said:
I find that hard to swallow.
A good red red wine should help.
 
fresh_42 said:
If you already found bacon too fat ...
Bacon is never anything other than perfect.
 
Just after a thunderstorm at my little place:

243060


243061
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Wrichik Basu, WWGD, Ibix and 1 other person
Ok, Bruce Armando is a cool name, but you still have to follow the rules.
 
Damn. The crackpots today are unusually belligerent. Must be the full moon.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
Bandersnatch said:
Damn. The crackpots today are unusually belligerent. Must be the full moon.
It's not full yet. Or are you claiming that the phases of the moon are just mainstream dogma?
 
Stop the print! Now!
Bandersnatch said:
Must be the full moon.
Ibix said:
It's not full yet.
New headline:
PF always at the front! First occurrence of FTL crackpots reported!
- Science community waiting for confirmation -​
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I was having an exchange with a Libertarian who had written several 1000-+-word entries addressing objections to Libertarian positions of different sorts. I asked him: If Libertarianism is such a great idea, why must you write so many essays defending different aspects of it? If it was such a great idea I would think it would sell itself , and it would not be necessary to go to such lengths to defend it.
He replied to that by...referring me to a 5000+-word essay addressing why it is necessary to defend it.

Reminds me of the commercial: Not going anywhere for a while...?
 
This thread has made it to over five thousand posts (5002). It's almost a palindrome count.
 
collinsmark said:
This thread has made it to over five thousand posts (5002). It's almost a palindrome count.
Common, Mark, you're tempting me to post two non-sensical (i.e., my usual) posts here to have the
5005th spot.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
5115
I was serving it to collinsmark. But it is 5005.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
fresh_42 said:
5115
WWGD said:
I was serving it to collinsmark. But it is 5005.
Good but short-sighted provided the thread continues to grow. 5335 5555

Arguing by Internet seems futile; though no doubt your Libertarian friend provides fodder for thought.

5115 does posses interesting symmetries.
 
Unfortunately all the failed experiments are not food for his thought. Try something in a small population, scale it up see how it goes. I bet great leap forward sounded good before trying it... as did many others left- right-.

But, yes 5xx5 it is.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
WWGD said:
I was serving it to collinsmark. But it is 5005.
Next ones are at 5016, 5037, 5041, 5049, 5052.
 
fresh_42 said:
Next ones are at 5016, 5037, 5041, 5049, 5052.
Palindromes?