What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Sure they are, with the same right as 5005 is.
But not the same left...
 
Love those Kansas thunder storms.

243974


243975
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Craftek_Ana
Today I learned the creator and writer of Deadwood has dementia. And that we (fans of Deadwood) got the Deadwood movie in the "nick of time".

The New Yorker article / interview of David Milch

Side note wow the New Yorker writes at a high level, between their interviewer / writer and Milch I had to google a few words to get meaning beyond that implied by context.

How good of a "writer's mind" does Milch have? Here's stage two of three dementia impacted David Milch brain...

Singer: I’m sitting here listening to you, and you’re describing what you’re describing, and there is to me an immense irony: this is the same mind that I’ve known for as long as I’ve known you.

Milch: That’s a blessing of this conversation, and I’m concentrating and thinking as hard as I can. I’m asking for the grace and dignity of a lucid cogitation. I’m asking of my faculties, such as they are, in whatever diminution they are, to meet you fairly.
 
I never had a special look on the potatoes I bought. Unless recently. I apparently grabbed a sort which is incredibly wet inside. It was awful, so for the first time ever I had a look on the name to avoid future mistakes. It's called Synergy and they were from Egypt. Now that I know that half the Nile is inside their potatoes, which made me wonder, since they need their water themselves, I also have an idea what synergy meant: they crossed watermelons in!
 
I just found an old article: "On the Theory of Triads" (Kristiania 1921)
Fortunately it wasn't Chinese. But if you read those old texts, then ##\otimes## is really a relief in notation. Someone should tell physicists as they still stick with their coordinate notation.
 
Didn't really expect this one: Sunshine, this woman sitting close to me at Sbux, asking me if I want to " Take it Outside". " You really want to do it, bro?" EDIT: She left, we did not rumble. I know I cannot win in a situation like this. Frankly seemed like a hidden camera thing.
 
Last edited:
Guess it makes sense Oberlin (O-Berlin) is in Ohio ( O-hio), but not in O-Germany.
Then again, PMoscow is not in PRussia.
 
WWGD said:
Guess it makes sense Oberlin (O-Berlin) is in Ohio ( O-hio), but not in O-Germany.
Then again, PMoscow is not in PRussia.
It isn't in O-Germany, but in O-Deutschland. PM cannot be spoken. But there is a Moskau in N-Switzerland.
 
fresh_42 said:
It isn't in O-Germany, but in O-Deutschland. PM cannot be spoken. But there is a Moskau in N-Switzerland.
As well as in Idah-O. Michelle PFeiffer should be leader of PRusssia.
 
WWGD said:
As well as in Idah-O. Michelle PFeiffer should be leader of PRusssia.
There is indeed some kind of connection between Pfeiffer (with 3 f) and PRussia. Not quite PRussia, but it's mentality which counts here.
 
We live in a world where food is full of chemistry, but the cosmetics are full of avocado, honey and vitamins.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DrGreg
fresh_42 said:
We live in a world where food is full of chemistry, but the cosmetics are full of avocado, honey and vitamins.
My wife once told the girl in a cosmetics shop that she really wanted to buy the eye shadow she was looking at but, as a chemistry lecturer, if she was told one more time that there were no chemicals in it then she'd have to walk out.
 
Ibix said:
My wife once told the girl in a cosmetics shop that she really wanted to buy the eye shadow she was looking at but, as a chemistry lecturer, if she was told one more time that there were no chemicals in it then she'd have to walk out.
That's why I changed 'chemicals' to 'chemistry' which stresses the synthetic aspect instead of just 'stuff'.
 
I always thought I had an idea how it came to Paris (TX), Athens (GA) or Берлин (RU, Ural). But what had happened here?

245086
 
The nutrition fundamentalists become more and more annoying. I just bought apple juice (100%) and the company actually felt the need to print "vegan" on its label! I'm getting old. I don't understand this world anymore.
 
fresh_42 said:
The nutrition fundamentalists become more and more annoying. I just bought apple juice (100%) and the company actually felt the need to print "vegan" on its label! I'm getting old. I don't understand this world anymore.
I feel a lot of this is marketing (in the US anyway).
You are lucky it was not also labelled gluten free and caffeine free also.
 
BillTre said:
I feel a lot of this is marketing (in the US anyway).
You are lucky it was not also labelled gluten free and caffeine free also.
The only adjective I was really interested in was sugarfree. Additional sugar of course, the natural fructose is o.k.
 
Wow, met this guy today who is an Excel Intern at the end of his 1st year. How much can you learn with it?
And #$% forgot to ask him why I need to install the Analysis Pak every &^% time I use Excel instead of it remaining there.
 
How do you tell them appart:

Your Great Great Great Grandfather, and your Great Great Grandfather who happens to be great?
 
WWGD said:
Like what?
We say "ur-" for great, and grandfather is the same "groß-vater". Thus you can have a great (großartig) ururururururururururururururururgroßvater. And it's shorter :wink: And even shorter if you replace grandfather by "opa".
 
fresh_42 said:
. And it's shorter :wink: And even shorter if you replace grandfather by "opa".
He was not shorter, he was very tall.(Practicing being purposefully obtuse, which seems to come naturally easy).
 
WWGD said:
He was not shorter, he was very tall.
Hard to believe: the greater people are the shorter they were! Or is it better to say the more greats here?