What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,856
- 12,709
fresh_42 said:We say "ur-" for great, and grandfather is the same "groß-vater". Thus you can have a great (großartig) ururururururururururururururururgroßvater. And it's shorterAnd even shorter if you replace grandfather by "opa".
Isn't Uropa a moon of Jupiter?
- 20,819
- 28,467
I know where he is buried. If this is a moon of Jupiter we're in serious trouble!BillTre said:Isn't Uropa a moon of Jupiter?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I often get access to the bathroom ASAP when I head there at Starbucks. Strangely I had to wait each of the 3 times I tried today. I study , do my own small-scale ML for those who take long. My profile so far: Those dressed with brand-name clothes/ sun glasses. I have a theory but just speculation.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I don't buy juices or soft drinks with artificial sweetener. Either I drink coke, aware of all the sugar, or I leave it. And in apple juice you do not need anything. Mother nature already sweetened it.Bystander said:..., which shall be read, "Artificial Sweetener Added" in the USA, and if you have my taste-buds, that means, "Tastes Like Gasoline, (do NOT buy)."
- 20,819
- 28,467
After approximately 5,000 years and a journey around the globe, there are probably no "natural" apples left anywhere.BillTre said:Actually, selective agricultural breeding.
No natural apples were likely used.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The ESTA Paradoxon:
I just recognized that it is impossible for me to enter the US. They require a so called ESTA application. And here is why I cannot apply for a permission:
If I lie on the form, I will commit a crime and the application will be denied.
If I tell the truth, then the form does not accept my telephone number. It is too short and the US says it is invalid.
Next time I receive a call from the US I have to tell them that they dialed an invalid number ...
I just recognized that it is impossible for me to enter the US. They require a so called ESTA application. And here is why I cannot apply for a permission:
If I lie on the form, I will commit a crime and the application will be denied.
If I tell the truth, then the form does not accept my telephone number. It is too short and the US says it is invalid.
Next time I receive a call from the US I have to tell them that they dialed an invalid number ...
McCOY: The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
Did you knock three times?
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1102025
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1102025
cosmik debris
- 734
- 173
Borg said:Did you knock three times?
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1102025
Perhaps he is too short to reach the ceiling?
Cheers
- 20,819
- 28,467
I guess there is more than one good reasons to save the $14. Canada is funnier.Borg said:Did you knock three times?
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1102025
- 20,819
- 28,467
Semigroups play a role in automaton theory and encryption theory as far as I remember, so abstract nonsense is relative.nuuskur said:Got my MSc. Next up, PhD. Abstract nonsense and semigroup theory![]()
- 13,926
- 16,804
Congrats!nuuskur said:Got my MSc.
Semigroup theory is only half as difficult as group theory, right?nuuskur said:Next up, PhD. Abstract nonsense and semigroup theory![]()
Last edited:
- 20,819
- 28,467
You mean that simple halfgroups are semisimple?Ibix said:Congrats!
Semigroup theory is only half as difficult as group theory, right?![]()
- 13,926
- 16,804
Sounds completely plausible to me...fresh_42 said:You mean that simple halfgroups are semisimple?
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
What types of semigroups? Have you formulated a well-defined PhD question yet?nuuskur said:Abstract nonsense and semigroup theory![]()
I'm just curious because I've been trying to use Lie semigroups (actually Lie monoids) in some research, but had difficulty finding useful literature.
Science Advisor
- 929
- 1,226
I confess, there is little literature known to me, as well, when it comes to recent developments in the theory.strangerep said:What types of semigroups? Have you formulated a well-defined PhD question yet?
I'm just curious because I've been trying to use Lie semigroups (actually Lie monoids) in some research, but had difficulty finding useful literature.
In short, the goals for the PhD work is to generalise a description of Morita equivalence to factorisable semigroups (S=SS). This is quite a recent problem, starting early 90s and some remarkable advances occurring only ten years ago for semigroups with local units (a significantly smaller subclass than factorisables).
- 20,819
- 28,467
Do you get a reasonable structure on the tangent spaces? I mean, you basically drop the minus sign in the commutator, don't you? And the detour to tangent spaces is the basic tool in Lie theory.strangerep said:I'm just curious because I've been trying to use Lie semigroups (actually Lie monoids) in some research, but had difficulty finding useful literature.
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
This question belongs here as I've been drinking lots of cold beer (brain fart). Explain your take on it like I'm 6 years old. Just a random thought in random thoughts.
If the James Webb Telescope is being placed so far out that it can't ever be serviced, what's stopping it from getting damaged by high speed space debris? IIRC, Hubble has 'bullet holes' from high speed debris. The JWT looks like it mainly relies on huge glass planes/lenses which I'd of thought wouldn't last long with said random bombardment.
I'm actually worried that it's launch might fail.
If the James Webb Telescope is being placed so far out that it can't ever be serviced, what's stopping it from getting damaged by high speed space debris? IIRC, Hubble has 'bullet holes' from high speed debris. The JWT looks like it mainly relies on huge glass planes/lenses which I'd of thought wouldn't last long with said random bombardment.
I'm actually worried that it's launch might fail.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
That's not what I'm doing. I basically have 2 time-asymmetric Poincare-like algebras, acting on a double cone (in spacetime) with vertex removed. I.e., recall the null double cone in relativity, on a manifold locally Minkowskian. Then imagine different representations of a Poincare-like algebra acting on the forward and backward nappes of the double cone, such that in the forward (resp. backward) only forward (resp. backward) time translations are allowed.fresh_42 said:Do you get a reasonable structure on the tangent spaces? I mean, you basically drop the minus sign in the commutator, don't you? [...]strangerep said:[Lie semigroups...]
So, at every point of the base manifold, my "tangent spaces" are this type of double cone, instead of a Minkowski space.
It's doing my head in for several years now.

- 20,819
- 28,467
Do you have a multiplication table for it? What makes them "like"? And can we continue in LA? Ooops, I meant the linear algebra forum, not LA (Ca).strangerep said:I basically have 2 time-asymmetric Poincare-like algebras, acting on a double cone (in spacetime) with vertex removed.
I am asking because I am interested in the Poincaré algebra from another point of view.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
I can't say much more on the public PF forums, since it's unpublished.fresh_42 said:[...] can we continue in LA [forum]?
I'll PM you later today.
- 20,819
- 28,467
The leaf blower is a symbol of our time:
It shifts a problem from one place to another without solving it, and making a lot of noise.
It shifts a problem from one place to another without solving it, and making a lot of noise.
- 20,819
- 28,467
France set a new record yesterday: 114.5 °F
DennisN
Gold Member
- 2,197
- 10,329
NASA has restored the Apollo Mission Control. There are very nice high resolution photos in this article:
NASA’s restored Apollo Mission Control is a slice of ’60s life, frozen in amber (Ars Technica)
http://arstechnica.com/science/2019...wly-restored-historic-apollo-mission-control/
NASA’s restored Apollo Mission Control is a slice of ’60s life, frozen in amber (Ars Technica)
http://arstechnica.com/science/2019...wly-restored-historic-apollo-mission-control/
- 20,819
- 28,467
Looks a bit like the original Star Trek set, only with fewer colors and bigger.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2