What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
Psinter said:
I must say, I'm not pale, but I'm not super dark either ...
In former times it has been achievable to be as pale as possible, because it meant you were wealthy enough not to be forced to work outside like farmers were.
Nowadays it seems to be the opposite for exactly the same reason: Being tanned means you're wealthy enough to spend expensive holidays or spare time in the sun.

I still prefer the pale version. I don't mind what it means in terms of wealth. To me it simply means that it try to avoid melanoma of all kind.

Likes Sophia
Physics news on Phys.org
By the way, what's the main language spoke in Belgium? French, Dutch, or German?

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I knew about Jane within the same month she started posting comics :smile: It's truly hilarious. Another one to try is Owlturd (http://owlturd.com/).
Oh I had seen a few of those. Now I know the source of the artist. I just watched a few under that link and they are also funny :biggrin:.
fresh_42 said:
Nowadays it seems to be the opposite for exactly the same reason: Being tanned means you're wealthy enough to spend expensive holidays or spare time in the sun.
In my daily life, time under the sun is a requirement everyday and spare time would be time not under the sun o:).

Psinter said:
Looks like problems for pale people:
Source
funny-pale-skin-people-problems.jpg

I must say, I'm not pale, but I'm not super dark either and my face gets red sometimes. So yup, if I'm not pale and I get red sometimes (under temperatures of over 96F after walking 20 minutes under the sun), I can understand the struggle.

And some funny pals messing with each other.
That's me. I'm either pale or red. :-) there's no middle option. I like sunny weather but I don't enjoy being in the direct sun for a long time.
And when I return from a holiday and people say "oh you were on holiday? You are still so pale!"
I'm like I went there to rest, not to roast

Likes Psinter
ProfuselyQuarky said:
By the way, what's the main language spoke in Belgium? French, Dutch, or German?
40% - 60% - < 1% and a few speak letzebergisch (Luxembourg) which isn't an official language. However, meanwhile arabic and turkey might have a significant ratio. At least they (Morrocans and Turks) outnumber the other minorities.

Likes Psinter
Sophia said:
That's me. I'm either pale or red. :-) there's no middle option. I like sunny weather but I don't enjoy being in the direct sun for a long time.
And when I return from a holiday and people say "oh you were on holiday? You are still so pale!"
I'm like I went there to rest, not to roast
(◠‿◠)

This sun is killing hot. At my place you can't hide from it unless you enter the forest. Otherwise it will find you and burn you :confused:. Hello human, we are a bunch of photons and we have traveled millions of miles just to roast you :biggrin:.

Which begs the question: Does anyone here in the forum lives in California? Or Australia?

Because I'm on a project and I just checked a few maps and the solar irradiation at California and some places of Australia are almost as strong as the one of my place, but I've never heard people from California or Australia saying it is hot there. The irradiation is ridiculous, like at my place. So I wonder why I have never heard someone from California or Australia saying it is hot there. I know there are other factors that affect temperature like altitude, latitude, insolation, and there is also the heat index to count for the human perception, but according to the maps I'm reading, it should be hot places. Specially places that are close to... what is this place I'm reading here in this map?... It says Arizona. And according to this map, Arizona receives even more irradiation at the south-west :nb). Yet I've never heard anyone from California or Australia saying it is hot. Perhaps they can afford air conditioners and therefore they don't notice :confused:. I don't know.

At my place I cannot afford air conditioners and right now my room temperature is 94.7F. This sun is hitting it hard :-p. I'm shutting down the computer before it burns out.

Psinter said:
Does anyone here in the forum lives in California?
I live in California and, yeah, it's warm. And, yes, the sun attacks hard at times. Definitely not like Arizona or anything like that, but California can get extremely hot when you go inland. A large number of the population is near the coast, though, we often get sea breezes that compensate for the sun beating on your back. This time of year is usually hot but, surprisingly, it's been extremely mild right now. I'm looking out the window and it's cloudy outside right now and the thermostat reads 72°F. That's scary :-p I'm not sure if it has to do with last winter's El Nino, but this year has been definitely unusual regarding weather.

People here can afford air conditioners and it does get put to use. Not everybody has one, though, especially right near the beach. The specific place where I live is kind of weird because you can drive 10-15 minutes and find yourself in a really wealthy area with multi-million dollar houses with Maseratis parked on the driveways :cool:. But if you drive 10-15 minutes in another direction, you'll be in a relatively "unattractive" area that is significantly less well-to-do. In that very same way, if you drive a little bit south from my house and you'll hit the harbor and Pacific Coast Highway, but if you drive a little bit north, you'll find yourself in the hills.

So even though everybody here may live in the same vicinity, everyone has their own experiences, POVs, and pass times (which dictates whether they spend most of their time indoors or out).

Poor Psinter! I hope it cools down for you! Here you go ~~ *sends a glass of lemonade with ice cubes via the Internet* :biggrin:
fresh_42 said:
40% - 60% - < 1% and a few speak letzebergisch (Luxembourg) which isn't an official language. However, meanwhile arabic and turkey might have a significant ratio. At least they (Morrocans and Turks) outnumber the other minorities.
Thanks, I was hoping French wouldn't be the main language :smile: Actually, I was hoping somebody would answer "Belgian", but, alas, there's no such thing :oldlaugh:

Likes Psinter
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Thanks, I was hoping French wouldn't be the main language :smile: Actually, I was hoping somebody would answer "Belgian", but, alas, there's no such thing :oldlaugh:
Well, I can't judge on french and dutch. But I know how german and letzebergsch sound in that particular area of Europe. You may call this belgian, I won't object!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
The French of the Walloons also differs from the French in France.
One example is the way they say ninety, "quatre-vingt dix" versus "nonante" where the first can be translated as "four times twenty and ten".

The Dutch in Flanders is also different, often called Flemish but that's too general if you ask me.
Neglecting the dialect in West Flanders which is basically a whole different language, each region has its own dialect.
In fact close to my hometown they speak something of a hybrid between Dutch and German if you like using "Ich, Dich and Du" for the personal pronouns as opposed to "Ik, jij and jij" in regular Dutch/Flemish (although the older "ge" is commonly used instead of "jij" where "ge" can be seen as the dutch translation of thee/thou)

Quite complicated since it's such a small region (<2 hours from east to west without traffic jams and slightly over the speed limit)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and fresh_42
Hm, so I guess if I went to Belgium (after having learned Dutch) I'd have to stick around a while before I actually understand anything :rolleyes:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Hm, so I guess if I went to Belgium (after having learned Dutch) I'd have to stick around a while before I actually understand anything :rolleyes:
This is probably true for any language. I remember what my sister once told me. As soon as she had her driver license, she booked a flight to the states, bought a used and cheap car somewhere at the east coast and drove to California selling the car again. The car was one of the kind which needed more oil than gas and had more similarity to a model of an aircraft carrier than a car. It was huge and my sister small. She told me afterwards that especially in the south she didn't understand a word. Meanwhile she lives in MI and understands probably even people from the south.
So, as always in life, everything is a matter of practice.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
fresh_42 said:
This is probably true for any language. I remember what my sister once told me. As soon as she had her driver license, she booked a flight to the states, bought a used and cheap car somewhere at the east coast and drove to California selling the car again. The car was one of the kind which needed more oil than gas and had more similarity to a model of an aircraft carrier than a car. It was huge and my sister small. She told me afterwards that especially in the south she didn't understand a word. Meanwhile she lives in MI and understands probably even people from the south.
So, as always in life, everything is a matter of practice.
I too, have been told I need more oil than gas (It is one of those statements that is halfway between making sense and being completely meaningless, senseless).

fresh_42 said:
Couldn't we erase ##2## from the list of primes if we simply take ##\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{2}]##? Ok, ##\sqrt{2}## would become the new black, but at least it won't be even. :smile:
Is the ## \sqrt{2} ## Related to the primes or to the diagonal of a sandwich with sides of length 1 each (or to both)?

Likes Intrastellar
ProfuselyQuarky said:
I live in California and, yeah, it's warm. And, yes, the sun attacks hard at times. Definitely not like Arizona or anything like that, but California can get extremely hot when you go inland. A large number of the population is near the coast, though, we often get sea breezes that compensate for the sun beating on your back. This time of year is usually hot but, surprisingly, it's been extremely mild right now. I'm looking out the window and it's cloudy outside right now and the thermostat reads 72°F. That's scary :-p I'm not sure if it has to do with last winter's El Nino, but this year has been definitely unusual regarding weather.

People here can afford air conditioners and it does get put to use. Not everybody has one, though, especially right near the beach. The specific place where I live is kind of weird because you can drive 10-15 minutes and find yourself in a really wealthy area with multi-million dollar houses with Maseratis parked on the driveways :cool:. But if you drive 10-15 minutes in another direction, you'll be in a relatively "unattractive" area that is significantly less well-to-do. In that very same way, if you drive a little bit south from my house and you'll hit the harbor and Pacific Coast Highway, but if you drive a little bit north, you'll find yourself in the hills.

So even though everybody here may live in the same vicinity, everyone has their own experiences, POVs, and pass times (which dictates whether they spend most of their time indoors or out).

Poor Psinter! I hope it cools down for you! Here you go ~~ *sends a glass of lemonade with ice cubes via the Internet* :biggrin:

Oh thanks for the lemonade! *mlem mlem mlem*
dt04mTs.gif

It's okay though. I wasn't sweating when the temperature was like that. I was normal.

Wow, 72F. For me that's cold. You know when they say that you cannot put a fish in a tank immediately because it may get sick and it needs cycling for stuff to settle? I get put in a 72F environment without gradual adaptation and I'll probably get sick. I'd be like: I think I may need to lay down here for a while with my blanket o:).

You can really find those houses in the open? That's also amazing. At my place, houses on the multi-million dollar range are located inside urbanizations that have huge walls and you can't see to the inside. Those on that range that don't have huge walls are made in small mountains that collapse and the buyers lose their money. But buyers of those houses are very old people, they have money, I haven't seen them complaining about their houses getting destroyed by collapses of the terrain.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
dt04mTs.gif
Oh his tongue, soooo...hmmm.

Likes Psinter
Psinter said:
Oh thanks for the lemonade! *mlem mlem mlem*
dt04mTs.gif

Wow, 72F. For me that's cold. You know when they say that you cannot put a fish in a tank immediately because it may get sick and it needs cycling for stuff to settle? I get put in a 72F environment without gradual adaptation and I'll probably get sick. I'd be like: I think I may need to lay down here for a while with my blanket o:).

Are you interested in fish keeping? I've just cycled my tank recently. And I've just had a lunch from local restaurant. I ordered zucchini pancakes (they were not pancakes but I wasn't able to Google right English term) with grilled veggies. Nice meal for a warm sunny day.
However, they came with strawberry yoghurt as a dressing! WHY would anyone do that? :-(
Maybe it was supposed to be an experiment in molecular gastronomy. And it was not successful.

Likes collinsmark and ProfuselyQuarky
Psinter said:
I get put in a 72F environment without gradual adaptation and I'll probably get sick. I'd be like: I think I may need to lay down here for a while with my blanket o:).
Jeez, how are you going to survive when the people in both Southern and Northern hemispheres migrate to their poles to live as penguins and polar bears? You know it's going to happen eventually. :smile:
Psinter said:
You can really find those houses in the open? That's also amazing. At my place, houses on the multi-million dollar range are located inside urbanizations that have huge walls and you can't see to the inside. Those on that range that don't have huge walls are made in small mountains that collapse and the buyers lose their money. But buyers of those houses are very old people, they have money, I haven't seen them complaining about their houses getting destroyed by collapses of the terrain.
That's weird that the houses are walled, but I guess it's like the walls of Babylon--they're hiding their magnificence from all the normal people. :woot: In my case, however, you can't wall the houses and neighborhoods because the roads and streets in between are used by everybody. There are often little clusters of homes that might have a gate around it, but the gates are certainly not for hiding. It's more for aesthetic purposes and anybody can go in and out if they so choose. To be fair, though, the million dollars houses here are probably less magnificent then the ones in your area. CA is unfairly expensive and houses that could very well be $300,000-$500,000 in the East Coast are millions over here :frown:. Some people, after retiring, move out of their rented home and permanently live out on their boat in the harbor. :-p
Sophia said:
And I've just had a lunch from local restaurant. I ordered zucchini pancakes (they were not pancakes but I wasn't able to Google right English term) with grilled veggies. Nice meal for a warm sunny day.
However, they came with strawberry yoghurt as a dressing! WHY would anyone do that? :-(
Maybe it was supposed to be an experiment in molecular gastronomy. And it was not successful.
Mm, what you describe seems to be a veggie patty. Was the zucchini battered?

Last edited:
WWGD said:
I asked this person why the halfway cut instead of the diagonal one and he replied: it is wrong; a diagonal cut provides more exposed surface than the half cut, by Pythagoras' theorem.

WWGD said:
Is the ## \sqrt{2} ## Related to the primes or to the diagonal of a sandwich with sides of length 1 each (or to both)?

Related to the sandwich. It has been the sandwich guy's knowledge of ## \sqrt{2} ## and his boss's ignorance of ## \sqrt{2} ## that kept the sandwich guy from making the right cuts! So it was this what primarily kept him from diagonal cuts.

Last edited:
Speaking of which,

If you wish to make a rectangular shaped sandwich with the special characteristic that if you were to slice the sandwich in half you would end up with same shaped sandwiches as the original (two smaller versions of the original sandwich, ignoring height), all you need to do is start with bread slices that have the long dimension equal to [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] times the shorter side.

If you wished, you could then even cut the two smaller sandwiches in half and the four mini-sandwiches will still maintain the same aspect ratio of the original! The [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] is the only aspect ratio that will allow you do to this, assuming that you require rectangular sandwiches all the way down.

Likes WWGD
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Jeez, how are you going to survive when the people in both Southern and Northern hemispheres migrate to their poles to live as penguins and polar bears? You know it's going to happen eventually. :smile:
I'll then have to make an amateur coat with resistors on it. Connect them to a battery and warm myself. I'll be a warm penguin.
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That's weird that houses are walled, but I guess it's like the walls of Babylon--they're hiding their magnificence from all the normal people. :woot: In my case, however, you can't wall the houses and neighborhoods because the roads and streets in between are used by everybody. There are often little clusters of homes that might have a gate around it, but the gates are certainly not for hiding. It's more for aesthetic purposes and anybody can go in and out if they so choose. To be fair, though, the million dollars houses here are probably less magnificent then the ones in your area. CA is unfairly expensive and houses that could very well be $300,000-$500,000 in the East Coast are millions over here :frown:. Some people, after retiring, move out of their rented home and permanently live out on their boat in the harbor. :-p
Haha, yeah. Their magnificence is not allowed to be cast upon the peasants eyes. Only special eyes are allowed to capture their glory houses behind their walls of grandeur.

That much the change in prices? That is really expensive indeed.

Random curiosity question: Who is that guy in your avatar? I like the coat :smile:.
Sophia said:
Are you interested in fish keeping? I've just cycled my tank recently.And I've just had a lunch from local restaurant. I ordered zucchini pancakes (they were not pancakes but I wasn't able to Google right English term) with grilled veggies. Nice meal for a warm sunny day.
Not really. You have fishes? I don't have fishes. If I were to have a sea creature, I would want something like:
494px-Glaucus_atlanticus_1_cropped.jpg

Because it looks like something taken from an alien movie.

That meal sounds delicious :approve:.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
collinsmark said:
Speaking of which,

If you wish to make a rectangular shaped sandwich with the special characteristic that if you were to slice the sandwich in half you would end up with same shaped sandwiches as the original (two smaller versions of the original sandwich, ignoring height), all you need to do is start with bread slices that have the long dimension equal to [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] times the shorter side.

If you wished, you could then even cut the two smaller sandwiches in half and the four mini-sandwiches will still maintain the same aspect ratio of the original! The [itex] \sqrt{2} [/itex] is the only aspect ratio that will allow you do to this, assuming that you require rectangular sandwiches all the way down.
Fractals? How about a Koch snowflake sandwich?

WWGD said:
Fractals? How about a Koch snowflake sandwich?

I had one of those once, took me ages to cut it out.

Likes WWGD
JorisL said:
Sounds horrible! What a sticky intrusive thing it is!

Likes WWGD
JorisL said:
Still better than getting lost between the dimensions! :nb)

Psinter said:
I'll then have to make an amateur coat with resistors on it. Connect them to a battery and warm myself. I'll be a warm penguin.

Haha, yeah. Their magnificence is not allowed to be cast upon the peasants eyes. Only special eyes are allowed to capture their glory houses behind their walls of grandeur.

That much the change in prices? That is really expensive indeed.

Random curiosity question: Who is that guy in your avatar? I like the coat [emoji2].

Not really. You have fishes? I don't have fishes. If I were to have a sea creature, I would want something like:
494px-Glaucus_atlanticus_1_cropped.jpg

Because it looks like something taken from an alien movie.

That meal sounds delicious :approve:.
That creature is so interesting, I've never seen it before. Unique, just like you :-)

Likes WWGD and Psinter
Sophia said:
That creature is so interesting, I've never seen it before. Unique, just like you :-)
And you!

o(^∇^)o

Likes Pepper Mint and Sophia
collinsmark said:
Speaking of which,

See also the A series of paper sizes, of which the most common is A4, similar in size to US letter. However, two A4 sheets long edge to long edge make an A3 sheet; one A4 sheet sliced parallel to its short side makes two A5 sheets.

Likes collinsmark
My current project requires me to enter the word TYPE a lot using a standard QWERTY keyboard. My most common error seems to be to mis-key the P, producing TYPOE. It's been amusing me all day.

Likes collinsmark
Can't you ctrl-C ctrl-V your way through?

No typos and a lot faster

Let's talk about making fake resumes or CVs and its consequences. I have a very close friend working in the same IT department but on different projects. My boss discovered several of his fake document details but kept silent on that. Only in some special cases when the guy maddened him, he would warn him with some very tricky food of thoughts. My rich boss is passionate about his business goals, others he never seems to care about. :smile:

JorisL said:
Can't you ctrl-C ctrl-V your way through?

No typos and a lot faster
Sometimes. The word is part of a lot of different variable names, and the editor's whole word selection doesn't understand things like camelCase or under_score separation. So often finding a variable and selecting a bit of it is more of a pain than it's worth.

Psinter said:
Random curiosity question: Who is that guy in your avatar? I like the coat :smile:
The guy is actually a girl and I originally drew it for my friend who was writing a story (the girl is the main character). Took no more than 15 minutes and the coat is a copy of one I saw my neighbor wear (because, you know, staring at people is big hobby for me). o:):biggrin:

Likes Hoophy, JorisL, Psinter and 3 others
ProfuselyQuarky said:
The guy is actually a girl and I originally drew it for my friend who was writing a story (the girl is the main character). Took no more than 15 minutes and the coat is a copy of one I saw my neighbor wear (because, you know, staring at people is big hobby for me). o:):biggrin:
Oh, my bad. I didn't see the big image. Not more than 15 minutes?! You are really skilled :bow:. I like it. In all honesty you are good. And the coat looks perfect on her. Your neighbor has a good looking coat :approve:.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
ProfuselyQuarky said:

Nice drawing, somewhat of a tintin vibe going on.
I wish I could draw anything but stick figures, I do draw a mean cube* though.

* to scale no less!

Likes ProfuselyQuarky