What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
Ok, "Year-end bonus", not "Rear-end bonus", makes more sense now.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The benefits of 0 divisors. #FirstWorldIssues.
Why is the number of days in a week a prine number, unlike number of degrees in a circle or other composite?
Say I want to shave every 3rd day . No matter what weekday I start, I won't be able to use the same days of the week because 7 is prime. If I shave Monday, then I also shave Thursday, then Sunday. And then Wednesday.
 
WWGD said:
The benefits of 0 divisors. #FirstWorldIssues.
Why is the number of days in a week a prine number, unlike number of degrees in a circle or other composite?
Say I want to shave every 3rd day . No matter what weekday I start, I won't be able to use the same days of the week because 7 is prime. If I shave Monday, then I also shave Thursday, then Sunday. And then Wednesday.
Same reason as 17 year cicadas. It is to evade the beard predators.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G, Keith_McClary, *now* and 1 other person
Are we lucky that we have a moon with an orbital period with a low number of convenient sized divisors? 28 days can only be divided by 2, 4, 7 or 14. If it orbited every 40 days or something then some countries would have gone for 8 day weeks and others for 10.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
WWGD said:
The benefits of 0 divisors. #FirstWorldIssues.
Why is the number of days in a week a prine number, unlike number of degrees in a circle or other composite?
Say I want to shave every 3rd day . No matter what weekday I start, I won't be able to use the same days of the week because 7 is prime. If I shave Monday, then I also shave Thursday, then Sunday. And then Wednesday.
##3 \nmid 28##

Blame the Babylonians and the Semitics. But there is a solution for you. Since you cannot return to the days when moon orbited Earth faster, maybe you can wait until it is far enough that it takes ##30## days. Then you can introduce a week of ##6## days.
 
WWGD said:
..."lose skin solution", an unusual product.
Motorcycles?
 
Klystron said:
Motorcycles?
Maybe in France , but not in Toulouse ( Scraping the bottom).
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
jbriggs444 said:
Same reason as 17 year cicadas. It is to evade the beard predators.
Is that like one of those movies, attack of the killer (shaving?) razors?
 
fresh_42 said:
##3 \nmid 28##

Blame the Babylonians and the Semitics. But there is a solution for you. Since you cannot return to the days when moon orbited Earth faster, maybe you can wait until it is far enough that it takes ##30## days. Then you can introduce a week of ##6## days.
Done, we'll wait for that. I like practical solutions ;).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and fresh_42
Talk about practical solutions. Note to self: Ask one question at a time when texting. If you ask 2 or more,
you may receive an answer for each but the order of the reply may not match the order of the questions.
 
WWGD said:
Talk about practical solutions. Note to self: Ask one question at a time when texting. If you ask 2 or more,
you may receive an answer for each but the order of the reply may not match the order of the questions.
Í like questions with an OR. They are usually so easy to answer.
 
fresh_42 said:
Í like questions with an OR. They are usually so easy to answer.
"Gimme your lunch money OR I'll beat you up"

An example of the bullyin' OR.
 
Ibix said:
"Gimme your lunch money OR I'll beat you up"

An example of the bullyin' OR.
But that's an order, not a question. The question would be: "Would you consider to give me your lunch money or shall I beat you up?" in which case yes or no is still the only solution, depending on the fitness of whom has been asked.
 
Im not particularly knowledgeable in zoology or entomology or whatever may apply burt I am still having trouble understanding how flies can have an emirate.
 
I had to put up my biggest, phoniest smile when person next to me at coffee shop pulled power cord from my PC ( my PC battery is not working): No, no problem (AAAAGH...)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Klystron
I have listened to two press conferences about covid-19, one held by the RKI and one held by politicians. Guess which one made sense and which one contained just hot air!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Interesting sentence:
Megan Markle is not one of the successful Sussex exes.
 
I want a 98" UHD TV.

I have a 55". The 75" is a nice size. The 82" is very nice, but a 98" will be amazing.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and AlexCaledin
skyshrimp said:
I want a 98" UHD TV.

I have a 55". The 75" is a nice size. The 82" is very nice, but a 98" will be amazing.
You can design your life around some of the 300+- channel lineups and just watch tv all day. There's all- movie , channels, sports, sitcoms, variety. Kind of funny is the issue of the time you spend looking at the tv guides containing the listings; takes at least 10 minutes to cycle through the list of shows in 300+ channels.
 
@Klystron : there was a good book a while back: Politically Correct bedtime stories. A bit exaggerated but funny I thought.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I don't know what's more worrisone: that I mixed Nostradamus with Houdini in a story I was telling or that either no one noticed or at least did not bother to tell me.
 
They didn't bother because, although they knew such criticism would put you in an awkward spot, they predicted you'd get out of it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and Klystron
Ibix said:
They didn't bother because, although they knew such criticism would put you in an awkward spot, they predicted you'd get out of it.
Wow! This precisely appears in his letter* 6022 random pensorius on Frenchus and me.

EDIT:*To be pretentious, in the Quatraine 6022.
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
I heard kind of thunder today. Thought it was lightning in a mid of a sunny day. It was just a fast meteor:

 
zoki85 said:
I heard kind of thunder today. Thought it was lightning in a mid of a sunny day. It was just a fast meteor:


Cool. I hope there won't be at some point a confusion with a missile attack.
 
Is Youtube needing Lithium?
Manic :" Best Day of my Life" is followed by depressive: " Boulevard of Broken Dreams".
 
Why do the aliens actually only grab the somewhat stranger specimens of our species?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary
Why does greek letters look like little insects? For example you see $$\xi \\ \zeta$$
 
Adesh said:
Why does greek letters look like little insects? For example you see $$\xi \\ \zeta$$
Optimized for handwriting.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron and Adesh