- 13,926
- 16,805
Agreed. I read a lot faster than people talk, so I always find videos annoying. Automatic transcriptions help...WWGD said:Going over training videos makes me miss the old days of books.
Agreed. I read a lot faster than people talk, so I always find videos annoying. Automatic transcriptions help...WWGD said:Going over training videos makes me miss the old days of books.
Yeah - that's one use for the transcriptions. Videos are great for some things (GUIs, howtos for things like DIY/household maintenance), but text is so much easier to search and do random access.WWGD said:I may change my mind if someone comes up with an equivalent of Ctrl+ F for videos, if that were even possible.
Now he is considered a Titan in his field.WWGD said:At least he had a football team named after him, though. The Houston Eulers.
And cooking time?WWGD said:Guess if you scarf it down quickly.
I precook a bunch of bacon in the oven once a week. An egg take two minutes.fresh_42 said:The point is, that the English world has the most complicated breakfast and still calls it fast. In French it is little, and in German early. Neither of them is near as time-consuming as sausages and beans or pancakes.
In a conversation about difficulties in foreign languages, a lady who used to live in China told us that in at least one Chinese dialect the words for "nine" and "penis" differ only in intonation. She noted that if she wanted nine of something she always asked for ten and threw one away.WWGD said:The opposite in Chinese, in that slight misspellings/mispronounciations have a small chance of being understood.
So what's the deal with the line: " Number Nine, Number Nine,..."?Ibix said:In a conversation about difficulties in foreign languages, a lady who used to live in China told us that in at least one Chinese dialect the words for "nine" and "penis" differ only in intonation. She noted that if she wanted nine of something she always asked for ten and threw one away.
They don't speak Chinese in Liverpool, it only sounds that way.WWGD said:So what's the deal with the line: " Number Nine, Number Nine,..."?
I just thought yesterday how amazing it is that I understand most German dialects (schwizerdütsch included) although they have barely something in common with the language taught at schools. I assume it is similar for native English speakers. I remember an interview with Amy Macdonald on a radio show or John Higgins after a Snooker match: Scottish is hard.WWGD said:I remember this Jamaican guy who was interviewed on TV and he was livid because they added subtitles/translation on the bottom.
And there are, I think , many dialects/accents within Scottish.fresh_42 said:I just thought yesterday how amazing it is that I understand most German dialects (schwizerdütsch included) although they have barely something in common with the language taught at schools. I assume it is similar for native English speakers. I remember an interview with Amy Macdonald on a radio show or John Higgins after a Snooker match: Scottish is hard.