What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 753K views
Dang. Texas just kicked my university's (Kansas University) butt. 76 to 56. :( But still gonna be the number one overall seed in the big dance (final four). :)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Spring starts in just over two weeks, but it's 46°F here.
Now it's even colder at 44°F
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Interesting hack: Documents written in MS Word allow the recipient to see modifications made to the document. Send in a different format if you don't want them so see it.
 
Ouch! Rule of thumb for parties: Don't invite more than 25% of your guests from the Economics Department for a successful party. From the book "Rules of Thumb" .
 
WWGD said:
Interesting hack: Documents written in MS Word allow the recipient to see modifications made to the document. Send in a different format if you don't want them so see it.
I think that's dependent on how you send it, although I good be wrong. Failing to turn off Track Changes has bitten more than a few people.
 
nnnnnn
Ibix said:
I think that's dependent on how you send it, although I good be wrong. Failing to turn off Track Changes has bitten more than a few people.
If I'm required to use Word, I save first as, say .pdf, then after the last save, I revert to .docx, or similar. I think that avoids any tracking.
 
LCSphysicist said:
Oh no.. not a good time to fall in love
ALWAYS a good time to do that!
 
pinball1970 said:
OMD released a single in the UK 1979 called "Electricity"

Thanks, I liked that! I don't know OMD.

Here's another tune with the same name, but older
 
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
BillTre said:
So I have to wonder about the engraving, do you think it was done by a tag team of engravers? Each one gets to work for 30 seconds, and then they're burned out for the quarter?
 
dlgoff said:
Now it's even colder at 44°F
I don't think spring is ever going to get here. Now it's 35°F in the middle of the afternoon. :(
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
dlgoff said:
I don't think spring is ever going to get here. Now it's 35°F in the middle of the afternoon. :(
_nc_ohc=d2c1uegdvfYAX_BEK5u&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.jpg
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Jarvis323, pinball1970 and dlgoff
dlgoff said:
At least it's not like what @berkeman has to deal with:
Weird winter for us, with more cold and more rain than usual. We needed the rain and are out of the extreme drought now thank goodness, but the extra snow in the Sierras has unfortunately resulted in some deaths. Mother nature is pretty random at times...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
berkeman said:
Mother nature is pretty random at times...
Yes, but the arrival of another atmospheric river in that area was overdue according to a documentary I saw last year.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
I just got through a dreaded coffee rut vortex.

That's where I run dry of coffee beans in the house, even finishing off the emergency coffee. But then (after waking up with no coffee in the house) I'm too tired and groggy to get up and go to the store to get more coffee.

Days pass.
 
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
collinsmark said:
I just got through a dreaded coffee rut vortex.

That's where I run dry of coffee beans in the house, even finishing off the emergency coffee. But then I'm too tired and groggy to get up and go to the store to get more coffee.

Days pass.
I always keep a stash of some form of caffeine . At least a few bags of black tea, so I can boil water in the microwave and throw in a teabag.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and collinsmark
:eek:
That could produce a negative feedback loop to death.
How could you let this happen?
@berkeman, i.v. him some caffeine!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD and collinsmark
BillTre said:
@berkeman, i.v. him some caffeine!
Nah, for caffeine we just use enemas. Way quicker to start... :wink:
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD, dlgoff, collinsmark and 1 other person
berkeman said:
Nah, for caffeine we just use enemas. Way quicker to start... :wink:
Wasn't there some group called public enema #1?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Charles Link
fresh_42 said:
The History of Cosmology:

Eratosthenes - Copernicus - Kepler - Newton - Einstein - Slime Mold
I dont understand the last term in the series
 
Physics is math constrained by reality, engineering is physics constrained by money.
 
  • Like
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: Klystron, dlgoff, fresh_42 and 2 others
fresh_42 said:
The History of Cosmology:

Eratosthenes - Copernicus - Kepler - Newton - Einstein - Slime Mold
If you can Fresh, I am interested.
 
nsaspook said:
Physics is math constrained by reality, engineering is physics constrained by money.
Abiogenesis is biochemistry constrained by a time machine.

@jim mcnamara and bill will have a better go.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and BillTre
pinball1970 said:
If you can Fresh, I am interested.
Eratosthenes was famous for his accurate calculation of the diameter of the earth. (So much to flat earthers!) Copernicus established the solar-centric model of our solar system. Kepler found the orbits of our planets, Newton gave us the quadratic law of gravity, and Einstein refined it with his relativity theory.

The next step would be the explanation of dark matter. And dark matter is basically distributed like a slime mold. If you feed computer models with the algorithm of how slime molds find their food, then you get the same filaments that are believed to form the occurrences of dark matter between galaxies, i.e. on a cosmological scale. Thus slime molds are the logical next step.

Since I saw this on tv (no allowed source on PF) and do not really want to discuss this subject with actual astronomers, i.e. I'm happy with the level of the tv show, I posted it as "random thought".
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and Tom.G
My university (Kansas University) lost the basketball against the state (Arkansas) I was born in.
 
dlgoff said:
My university (Kansas University) lost the basketball against the state (Arkansas) I was born in.
Just drop the ' Ar' and you won.
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: dlgoff
WWGD said:
Just drop the ' Ar' and you won.
Also known as Einstein-Jossele principle.

Kishon and his friend Jossele are sitting in the football stadium and want to see their blue and white-clad Israeli home team win against the yellow-clad Bulgarian players. However, the match takes a completely different course than hoped, as the yellow "Balkan devils" play the poor Israelis downright dizzy.

This situation, which is extremely unpleasant for a patriotic football fan, is the birth of the legendary Einstein-Jossele principle. Instead of being depressed by the staid unimaginativeness of his fellow countrymen who play football, and possibly even mutating into an angry citizen in the football stadium who blushes and insults the incompetent heroes of his own country in the most obscene way, Jossele decides to face reality as his own to submit to the rules of the game: In the 32nd minute of the lousy kicks, he therefore categorically declares,
"From now on, the Israelis will play in yellow".

I love Kishon!