What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 759K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Sounds like BOFH runs the helpdesk:Tom.G said:Sounds like the Corporate definition of "Hell-p!"![]()
http://bofh.bjash.com/
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
Borg said:I saw a commercial for a new movie and had to laugh - Cocaine Bear. It's about a bear that finds a bunch of cocaine dumped from an airplane. They need to do a mashup with the Project Grizzly movie.![]()
Maybe this should go in the "Today I Learned" thread, but apparently the movie is actually based on a true story. -- I know. A true story !?!
‘Cocaine Bear,’ a drug smuggler and the very real story behind it all.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2023/02/24/cocaine-bear-story-andrew-thornton/
(The article is from the Washington Post, so there's a paywall. So here's a Wikipedia article with no paywall:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_Bear_(bear))
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
Great idea!
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Manchester United just won a cup, it has been a while. I am very happy.
- 20,819
- 28,467
I just found out that Nickelodeon broadcasts on Ukrainian here on free tv, voice-over. Not a bad idea, given that in Germany alone are more than 200,000 Ukrainian kids in our schools. Imagine that number, then add Poland and other countries. It is an unbelievable human tragedy this monster has brought across Europe.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Second time tonight my basic knowledge of physics literally saved my ***.
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
Where can I buy Orange Vanilla Coke? It's not anywhere, despite being a huge release after commercials like this one a few years ago:
It was my favorite Coke drink too. It cannot be found anymore in any major store.
It was my favorite Coke drink too. It cannot be found anymore in any major store.
- 20,819
- 28,467
That was not the word it felt like.berkeman said:FYI, "butt" has two t's.![]()
The first time it was one-sided aquaplaning at 112 mph and thank Newton's first law (and I thought of it) I survived without a crash. However, sitting in basically a sled at that speed definitely didn't feel like "butt".
And yesterday I had forgotten oil on the stove. As soon as I moved it, oxygen added to the smoldering fire beneath the coal that was once supposed to be noodles for my soup. If you roast them, they remain smaller and crispy, but one shouldn't forget the pan. And rightly the moment I wanted to deal with my fire - now in the sink - physics knowledge again kicked in and I did withstand my impetus to extinguish it with water. Again, not a "butt" situation.
kyphysics
- 687
- 446
link---https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434456695272656523/
Does anyone know what this type of interior wall is called?
Does anyone know what this type of interior wall is called?
hmmm27
Gold Member
- 1,249
- 674
A design fad from the 1970's that really didn't age well.kyphysics said:link---https://www.pinterest.com/pin/434456695272656523/
Does anyone know what this type of interior wall is called?
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
I was looking up predatory publishing sites and came across this
A series of papers were removed from a geoscience section of Springer, they slipped under peer review and were later deemed to be nonsensical.
https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11...tracted 44,determining that they were rubbish.
I thought of the ChatGPT technology while reading a couple of the abstracts.
Either that or a bunch of PhD students being having fun and being mischeivous.
A full list of the papers https://retractionwatch.com/wp-cont...rabian-Journal-of-Geosciences-retractions.pdf
An example below.
Monitoring of mountain ecological environment based on Bayesian estimation and testing of motor memory function in mice
Abstract
In this paper, the Bayesian estimation method is used to estimate the coefficients of wavelet transform to reconstruct the desired signal and reduce the noise.
Using SNR and RMS error as noise reduction estimation indexes, we compare Bayesian estimation algorithm and global threshold algorithm,
which improves the shortcomings of threshold algorithm and adaptive threshold algorithm.
According to Bayesian estimation, according to the geological vulnerability characteristics of the mountain ecological environment,
the geological change and its promotion mechanism of the mountain environment are selected.
The paper analyzes the influence of LUCC remote sensing monitoring and dynamic changes, such as rainfall erosion and topography,
and the influence of individual natural management factors and analyzes the propulsion effect of nearby residential areas.
A series of papers were removed from a geoscience section of Springer, they slipped under peer review and were later deemed to be nonsensical.
https://retractionwatch.com/2021/11...tracted 44,determining that they were rubbish.
I thought of the ChatGPT technology while reading a couple of the abstracts.
Either that or a bunch of PhD students being having fun and being mischeivous.
A full list of the papers https://retractionwatch.com/wp-cont...rabian-Journal-of-Geosciences-retractions.pdf
An example below.
Monitoring of mountain ecological environment based on Bayesian estimation and testing of motor memory function in mice
Abstract
In this paper, the Bayesian estimation method is used to estimate the coefficients of wavelet transform to reconstruct the desired signal and reduce the noise.
Using SNR and RMS error as noise reduction estimation indexes, we compare Bayesian estimation algorithm and global threshold algorithm,
which improves the shortcomings of threshold algorithm and adaptive threshold algorithm.
According to Bayesian estimation, according to the geological vulnerability characteristics of the mountain ecological environment,
the geological change and its promotion mechanism of the mountain environment are selected.
The paper analyzes the influence of LUCC remote sensing monitoring and dynamic changes, such as rainfall erosion and topography,
and the influence of individual natural management factors and analyzes the propulsion effect of nearby residential areas.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Just tried to work out what a sign saying TUO YAW was supposed to be. Finally realised that it was meant to be viewed from the other side of the window it was stuck on...
- 13,926
- 16,805
I don't remember noticing that. The commitment of that show to deadpan weirdness never ceases to amaze me.DrGreg said:
Coffee?
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Here's some just bizarre weirdness:Ibix said:I don't remember noticing that. The commitment of that show to deadpan weirdness never ceases to amaze me.
Coffee?
https://www.beesbeesbeesbees.com/
no idea what the site's about.
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
OMD released a single in the UK 1979 called "Electricity" and there is a line in it.
"... nuclear and HEP"
A reference to high energy physics in a pop song! EDIT: Stranger things! Just as I posed this someone on YouTube asked me what HEP was! From a video called "Stranger things at CERN" One of those silly conspiracy sites. Anyway that's what I call spooky action at a distance!
"... nuclear and HEP"
A reference to high energy physics in a pop song! EDIT: Stranger things! Just as I posed this someone on YouTube asked me what HEP was! From a video called "Stranger things at CERN" One of those silly conspiracy sites. Anyway that's what I call spooky action at a distance!
Last edited:
pinball1970
Gold Member
2025 Award
- 3,883
- 6,216
Yes that's very weird.WWGD said:Here's some just bizarre weirdness:
https://www.beesbeesbeesbees.com/
no idea what the site's about.
- 13,926
- 16,805
It's all up in your beesness.WWGD said:Here's some just bizarre weirdness:
https://www.beesbeesbeesbees.com/
no idea what the site's about.
Science Advisor
- 3,381
- 2,936
...BillTre said:
... Guess we can take it as a hint that the photo is not all white
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2