What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
I guessed a few , all guesses were correct , some were educated guesses, others wild guesses. From :

http://definition.org/end-quiz/

upload_2017-4-4_16-14-26.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
zoobyshoe said:
I got a notice from the Planned Outage Department of my local utility company informing me my power would be out a few hours in a week or so. The reason given is "pole replacement."

I am intrigued by the mysterious Planned Outage Department and wonder why it was necessary to create such an entity. Why couldn't all this happen under the aegis of, say, the utility's Maintenance Department? Are outages ever planned outside of some form of maintenance? What kind of bureaucratic shenanigan is this Planned Outage Department ?

Anyway, although the outage isn't for a few days, a crew is out there today erecting the new pole, itself. The pole they're replacing, though, is a structural pole, as far as I can tell. It carries no electrical cables, just a cable to hold a different pole up, and a guy wire to ground. I'm not sure why they have to cut the power to replace it, unless it's just in case the other pole, which is carrying electrical wires, falls over during the procedure.

It's easy to see why the old pole needs replacement in any event: a palm tree took root right next to it and has been threatening to push it over for years now. I imagine they're going to remove both the old pole and the tree. Palm trees are somewhat pestiferous: they put out masses of seeds and often take root in the strip of soil between sidewalk and street, eventually pushing the sidewalk "tiles" up at an angle and cracking them. They grow well by themselves requiring no care.

A new pope? Too bad the new pope , somehow with (almost) the same name as the actor "Cliff" from Cheers, is not Polish.
 
fresh_42 said:
What have you done? I'm bad on American History but know everything about M*A*S*H ... what a shame!
I think if you just enter the address on your browser you may reach the one I linked to.
 
WWGD said:
I think if you just enter the address on your browser you may reach the one I linked to.
I did this and had 38. Mostly wrong were American history and literature, e.g. I missed the Wright brothers flight by a year or connected the EPA with Carter.
 
fresh_42 said:
I did this and had 38. Mostly wrong were American history and literature, e.g. I missed the Wright brothers flight by a year or connected the EPA with Carter.
Yes, it is biased towards the US, and considering that, your score is pretty good. I am sure if I had to deal with German culture and history (let alone some non-Western ) I would have gotten much lower score. I retook it just to re-inforce the ones I guessed and to re-examine the ones I got wrong.
 
WWGD said:
Yes, it is biased towards the US, and considering that, your score is pretty good. I am sure if I had to deal with German culture and history (let alone some non-Western ) I would have gotten much lower score. I retook it just to re-inforce the ones I guessed and to re-examine the ones I got wrong.
But I did the M*A*S*H one until the first quarter and had not a single mistake...:headbang:
 
fresh_42 said:
But I did the M*A*S*H one until the first quarter and had not a single mistake...:headbang:
Yes, I did embarrassingly well on the TV section too. I guess you watch late night tv ? I used too, until I could not afford $110/month for internet + Cable TV. EDIT: Now I just use the neighbor's wi-fi ( with their permission) and use alternative TV suppliers, but these carry less content and less variety. EDIT2: Since you mentioned the references to US culture and history, I was reminded of the question on who was the inventor (discoverer?) of binary numbers (or was it binary algebra?). I thought it was Boole, but according to the quiz, it was Leibniz. (BTW: look at this: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=leibniz+cookies&t=ha&ia=web )
 
Last edited:
WWGD said:
A new pope? Too bad the new pope , somehow with (almost) the same name as the actor "Cliff" from Cheers, is not Polish.
This is kind of an imaginary pun, ennit? Sort of a √-(pun), or something.
 
Thanks to ebay, I was able to replace my photo printer, which has been out of production for about ten years, with an exact copy. The "slightly used" replacement looks perfectly new and works beautifully. It was $63.00, including shipping, while the original was $99.00 plus tax.

I've been buying old, "expired" ink cartridges on ebay for years now, and 90% have worked like new. I just printed a great print with a cartridge that "expired" in 2009. These are original HP cartridges made for the printer, not refilled, not some strange aftermarket equivalent. They were something like $30.00 brand new. On ebay you can find them for around $12.00-$14.00.

I tried an Epsom printer once, and the quality of the photo printing was horrible.
 
Ouch! I am reading , or more like browsing, a book on rules of thumb. A rule of thumb for having a good, entertaining party ( or get together)
is that at most 25% of the guests should be economists.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark
So many wasted years in school. I could have just read these two books which, set theoretically speaking, contain all of the information in the entire universe.

What+they+do+and+don't+teach+you+at+Harvard+Business+school+dr+heckle+funny+wtf+pictures.jpg
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-4-5_15-37-15.png
    upload_2017-4-5_15-37-15.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 444
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and nuuskur
It's amazing they fit the complement in a single book ! :O
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and dkotschessaa
It would be interesting (and pretty shameless ) if the same guy had written both books.
 
WWGD said:
Don't mean to kiss up to PF, but , outside of PF there are few sites I have encountered that filter out crackpots and general unsupported ( often unsupportable ) nonsense. Good idea too, to filter out Pro- and Anti- Trump posts.

I have recently taken up studying history as like a side, side, side project (from studying and working and having a family) and I joined a history forum to talk with other like minded people. I'm finding it really difficult to communicate online with non PF people. This place has me spoiled.

-Dave K
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and WWGD
WWGD said:
Correction: quiz is at :

http://definition.org/how-smart-are-you-quiz/

EDIT: I am not sure it is a well-designed quiz, but, since I did well, partly through luck, I am pretending that it is for now :).

It says:
I got 32 of 50 right Wow! You got your Bachelor's degree!Technically this is true until I pass my qualifier.
 
dkotschessaa said:
This place has me spoiled.
And not to forget about the vocabulary. Formerly I thought the f-word is bad, and bs isn't much better either. Puh! Those are for amateurs! The really mean ones are: Copenhagen, Bell, Bohr, wave-particle duality, FTL, event horizon, simultaneous and a couple more!
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
fresh_42 said:
And not to forget about the vocabulary. Formerly I thought the f-word is bad, and bs isn't much better either. Puh! Those are for amateurs! The really mean ones are: Copenhagen, Bell, Bohr, wave-particle duality, FLT, event horizon, simultaneous and a couple more!

Together with posts that are little more than strongly-expressed opinions with little, if any support for them. They somehow describe these as arguments, which they are only in the strictly literal sense of the word, but of very poor quality, of low level.
 
WWGD said:
Together with posts that are little more than strongly-expressed opinions with little, if any support for them.
That's in the same category as "somewhere" (I have read somewhere ...). Man, these are meeaaan.
 
fresh_42 said:
That's in the same category as "somewhere" (I have read somewhere ...). Man, these are meeaaan.

How about the reverse nonsense that just because they do not believe something or are not aware of it, that the something is not so? How (implicitly) arrogant: I can't conceive of or understand something, then that something cannot be so.
 
WWGD said:
How about the reverse nonsense that just because they do not believe something or are not aware of it, that the something is not so? How (implicitly) arrogant: I can't conceive of or understand something, then that something cannot be so.
Uh! The clerical argument. We call this "counsel-resistant" in German.
 
WWGD said:
Together with posts that are little more than strongly-expressed opinions with little, if any support for them.

Recall Mark Twain's quip about righteous indignation - "The more vehement , the less righteous."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
jim hardy said:
Recall Mark Twain's quip about righteous indignation - "The more vehement , the less righteous."

True in my experience, the most radical ones happen to be the least well informed. I dread the opinions of those that are too clear and with little doubt on things other than facts. I have no problem with informal arguments during casual exchanges, but it seems a matter of basic honesty that, as you said, the vehemence in which the argument is expressed should be directly proportional to the strength of the evidence to support said argument. But, yes, the opposite seems most often to be the case.
 
Bandersnatch said:
How smart are you, quiz?
I guessed Europa, which seemed to be correct. And I did state that I was not sure the test effectively measures intelligence if anything, only that , to satisfy my ego, I am claiming it does, since I did well on it. But I don't see how ( the answer to ) a single question can reveal much of anything about someone.
 
WWGD said:
Snip
Sorry, I wasn't clear on what I meant. It was a 'groan' post, since there's no such thing as a Jovian moon called 'Lo'.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear on what I meant. It was a 'groan' post, since there's no such thing as a Jovian moon called 'Lo'.
And 'Behold' ? ;)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bandersnatch
WWGD said:
And 'Behold' ? ;)
Now I'm thinking how much room for improving the names of the moons in the solar system there is. Phobos and Deimos could be renamed after your suggestion Lo and Behold. Saturn's moons could bear the names of the consecutive words in the 'itsy bitsy spider' nursery rhyme. And Jupiter's Galilean moons could be renamed 'Three little piggies' - all four of them, just to mess with people.
Now I just need a time machine and fix the world right.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Quiche? Nothing more than egg pie. How, then, can it taste so good?