What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 755K views
Ibix said:
Neither he nor any of his team talked about Kolmogorov sets before taking office. Proof: fantasy and reality are not distinguishable by team Trump.
Yeah, very surprising, as they are otherwise really good at separations.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Used my beard trimmer before coming to work today. When I looked in the mirror at work there was one grey one that apparently survived the trimming. Tried to pull it out by hand, but the tough lil' bastard will not leave.

I'm actually encouraged by this, as I am sure it is some kind of metaphor for ageing.

-Dave K
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ProfuselyQuarky
dkotschessaa said:
I'm actually encouraged by this, as I am sure it is some kind of metaphor for ageing.
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa, Borg and collinsmark
People from the Philippines are Filipino, not Philipino, and I find that conphusing.
 
fresh_42 said:
How do you call people from Illinois?
Not sure what the people are called, but I seem to recall a conversation from about 35 years ago where someone from Missouri referred to Illinois as; "Illinoise", and vice versa; "Misery".

hmmmm... I wonder how French people pronounce "Illinois"?
Il-lay-nwah? Ee-lee-nwah?

Never bin to France. I have a new Facebook girlfriend from there though. She seems nice. Though... hmmmm... I think she's 1/3 my age, so I think I put her on FB "mute" about a month ago. Young people's brains work to fast, IMHO.
 
OmCheeto said:
Not sure what the people are called, but I seem to recall a conversation from about 35 years ago where someone from Missouri referred to Illinois as; "Illinoise", and vice versa; "Misery".
I thought it might have been something noisy. :cool: But "Misery" is good one.
hmmmm... I wonder how French people pronounce "Illinois"?
Should be no problem: Illinoises doesn't sound noisy in French. But I'm not sure whether it's French at all. They have a lot of indigenous names up there.
 
fresh_42 said:
How do you call people from Illinois?
With my phone.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix and zoobyshoe
People come to me after seeing a youtube video about how the sum of all natural numbers is some magical [itex]-\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and they back it up by saying " .. but they say it's often used in QM, so it must be true..!" . I'm like: nope, that is not the sum of natural numbers :(
 
nuuskur said:
People come to me after seeing a youtube video about how the sum of all natural numbers is some magical [itex]-\frac{1}{12}[/itex] and they back it up by saying " .. but they say it's often used in QM, so it must be true..!" . I'm like: nope, that is not the sum of natural numbers :(
It is in a certain sense when involving analytic continuation of a function* that produces that sum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_+_2_+_3_+_4_+_⋯

*(for example the Riemann Zeta function of -1.)
 
I have seen a few proofs of the claim. One that abuses the Riemann zeta function [itex]\zeta (s) := \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{1}{k^s}[/itex]. This is valid only when [itex]Re(s)>1[/itex]. and they conclude result by
[tex] \zeta (s) = 2^s \pi ^{s-1}\sin\left (\frac{s\pi}{2}\right )\Gamma (1-s)\zeta (1-s)\vert _{s=-1} = -\frac{1}{12}[/tex] which, indeed, is true, but its association to the series representation is invalid. Then there is the geometric series "proof" where they say [itex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty x^k = \frac{1}{1-x}[/itex] and they do mention that it is valid when [itex]x<1[/itex], but then conviniently set [itex]x=-1[/itex] and conclude their result. In reality, the sum is valid when [itex]|x|<1[/itex] i.e they cheated. It's known as ex falso quodlibet. Proceed under false assumptions and conclude that the Sun is smaller than the Earth.. hooray. Not quite -.-

If we involve analytic continuation then we are no longer talking about the sum in the traditional sense. This is the part people get confused, because nobody explicitly states that we aren't actually talking about the sum in the sense of addition. It's more like, we assign a value to this series and prove that the operation is valid. But that's not exciting, is it?

I wouldn't be studying pure mathematics if the principles of logic were so easily defied without consequence. The heretics may preach what they wish, at that point, what they dabble in is no longer backed by logic, therefore not mathematics.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
The trouble with computers is they enable us to transfer our human stubbornness, pettiness and chicanery to what ought to be be well behaved predictable and obedient machines.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: dkotschessaa
jim hardy said:
The trouble with computers is they enable us to transfer our human stubbornness, pettiness and chicanery to what ought to be be well behaved predictable and obedient machines.

That is actually a very well crafted and quoteworthy statement.
 
17191150_1273574449395661_3676919121022839867_n.jpg
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: DennisN, nuuskur, jim hardy and 4 others
Have no fear, Summer is here: Longest sunny day I can remember. It is 5:15 and the sun looks as in a standard sunny day at around 1 p.m. Yet it snowed two days ago. Kind of confusing.
 
WWGD said:
Have no fear, ...
Easily said. Since I've heard Iggy in a commercial, I mean Iggy, ... I've lost all my trust in this world.
 
fresh_42 said:
Easily said. Since I've heard Iggy in a commercial, I mean Iggy, ... I've lost all my trust in this world.

Iggy? German TV?
 
WWGD said:
Have no fear, Summer is here: Longest sunny day I can remember. It is 5:15 and the sun looks as in a standard sunny day at around 1 p.m. Yet it snowed two days ago. Kind of confusing.

Dreading the arrival of summer here in FL. "Winter" has been beautiful. Even spring has been kind of mild with a few days in the upper 80s.
 
I watched a video of a small house being printed by a large 3-D printer. Instead of plastic it was "printing" in cement. That pushed me over into now believing that 3-D printing is the future of everything.
 
fresh_42 said:
Dang, I just recognized, that I know what a choke is.
How about an anti-choke , or at least an arti-choke ( which is different from an artsy choke and an artsy bloke )?