What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 758K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Microsoft just opened up a "Windows" store here . Need to drop by; I think they make you go through a metal detector, you know,Borg said:Fortunately my icons aren't arranged like that.![]()
for people pissed of by random re-arrangements of their desktop. Don't know if there is one near you, but if you have a trip to the NE lined up:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/locations/ny/new-york/fifth-avenue-/store-1087?lc=1033
EDIT: I need to see if I can finally get some sound out of my PC. I have tried tons of different things. If anyone can help me ( for free) it is the Windows people.
Last edited:
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
I am going to recommend you guys investigate Amazon for used Macs.
The Mac I am now using was made in 2010 and I would bet it is superior to any PC you guys have for its ease of use and stability.
The Mac I am now using was made in 2010 and I would bet it is superior to any PC you guys have for its ease of use and stability.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
But why not also be grateful for the design of tabs? You have a tab open and if we happen to click on the tab in just a slightly different way than you're supposed to, you close the tab, before having a chance to save it.Borg said:Dear Microsoft,
Thank you for running the icons on my desktop through a blender this morning. It's so much fun trying to find things after that.![]()
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
Not familiar with that one. nuuskur's video is pretty close to what they did to my icons though.WWGD said:But why not also be grateful for the design of tabs? You have a tab open and if we happen to click on the tab in just a slightly different way than you're supposed to, you close the tab, before having a chance to save it.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Just the issue of, say, open many tabs. Then try to click on anyone of them. If you do not click just the right way, you close the tab. I mean if the force with which you click is not within ## 10^{-5000} ## N of the intended force, your tab is closed. EDIT: So, say you are reading an e-mail where someone is asking you to check, e.g., the price of something, or some specs. You open a new tab to look up the info, leaving your e-mail mailbox open. You then try to get back to your mailbox to write/paste the info in the reply. But, unless you tap it just the right way, you have just closed it. Multiply this by 100x a week or so if you use the internet often. A charm.Borg said:Not familiar with that one. nuuskur's video is pretty close to what they did to my icons though.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
There are lots of words that rhyme with "fleas."
OCR
- 996
- 936
I'm sure you know this, and it might only work with Firefox... I've closed many by accident myself.WWGD said:You have a tab open and if we happen to click on the tab in just a slightly different way than you're supposed to, you close the tab, before having a chance to save it.
For the benefit of people that might not know... closed tabs can usually be restored using this method.
Here is another way... right click in any open tab for the menu.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Thanks, that's useful. Still, it seems design-wise it may make more sense to require either a stronger and/or a more precise click, i.e., clicking in, say, the upper-right with certain strength, to make it a bit harder to close, as I assume closing is less common than re-opening.OCR said:I'm sure you know this, and it might only work with Firefox... I've closed many by accident myself.
For the benefit of people that might not know... closed tabs can usually be restored using this method.
Here is another way... right click in any open tab for the menu.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Just a provocative random thought on a physics page:
Mathematics faced severe challenges in the 20th century:
Now how does it come, that physics students are still sitting at the table in Copenhagen dining with Bohr, challenging Bell or debate about duality?
Mathematics faced severe challenges in the 20th century:
- Russell and sets: change to classes
- Hilbert's program: busted
- Axiom of choice: an evergreen, ridiculous or natural, just a point of view
- Continuum Hypothesis: who knows?
- Gödel's incompleteness theorems: nice, does it matter for my theorems?
Now how does it come, that physics students are still sitting at the table in Copenhagen dining with Bohr, challenging Bell or debate about duality?
OCR
- 996
- 936
WWGD said:Still, it seems design-wise it may make more sense to require either a stronger and/or a more precise click... as I assume closing is less common than re-opening.
I use the center mouse button to open tabs, so I've opened many by accident, too ...OCR said:I've closed many by accident myself.

And no, I don't want to continue... lol
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Based on the Characters in DC Comics
- 13,926
- 16,805
As Cinema Sins would say, "DC Comics (ding)".zoobyshoe said:Based on the Characters in DC Comics
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
How can you even fit that many tabs on your screen, though?OCR said:... agreed !
I use the center mouse button to open tabs, so I've opened many by accident, too ...
And no, I don't want to continue... lol
View attachment 196000
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
So, Fargo, Season 3, premiered Wed. night.
Things look bleak for this season: there wasn't one character who piqued my interest.
In other news, the real city of Fargo, N.D. has been declared to have the worst alcohol problem of any US city:
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/fargo-n-deemed-drunkest-city-america-article-1.1579571
Things look bleak for this season: there wasn't one character who piqued my interest.
In other news, the real city of Fargo, N.D. has been declared to have the worst alcohol problem of any US city:
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/fargo-n-deemed-drunkest-city-america-article-1.1579571
OCR
- 996
- 936
They won't fit, you have to use the drop down on the right, where the red arrow points, or click > for the next one.WWGD said:How can you even fit that many tabs on your screen, though?
The left arrow points to my Fire folder... I opened it on purpose as a demo...
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
The narrator/host of the show, Origins: The Journey of Humankind, on the National Geographic Channel has to be one of the worst narrators ever. His "enthusiasm" reads as 100% artificial. It is as if he set himself the task of seeming to be as insincere as possible, but with a lot of energy.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
On a positive note: I just got around to opening the gas and electric bill that came this afternoon, and to my surprise, this time they owe me money instead of the other way around.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
I like to overpay utilities and let the balance float down. Saves a lot on late fees.zoobyshoe said:On a positive note: I just got around to opening the gas and electric bill that came this afternoon, and to my surprise, this time they owe me money instead of the other way around.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
...And this comes off as real enthusiasm :). Wonder if they would let you given estimated payments.zoobyshoe said:On a positive note: I just got around to opening the gas and electric bill that came this afternoon, and to my surprise, this time they owe me money instead of the other way around.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Starbuck's successful disaster: the Unicorn Frappuccino...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rthday-cake-and-shame/?utm_term=.09764bdea9e0
Baristas at both Starbucks near me reported being drowned in orders for this drink despite trying to warn people (on the down-low) that it tasted terrible. It was a "limited time only" special drink that was only going to be available for about ten days. The Starbuck's south of me, however, went through their whole ten day supply of mix on the first day. They still are getting calls all day long asking if they have it.
Have to wonder what the time lag is between artificial popularity due to advertising and real world, word-of-mouth correction.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rthday-cake-and-shame/?utm_term=.09764bdea9e0
Baristas at both Starbucks near me reported being drowned in orders for this drink despite trying to warn people (on the down-low) that it tasted terrible. It was a "limited time only" special drink that was only going to be available for about ten days. The Starbuck's south of me, however, went through their whole ten day supply of mix on the first day. They still are getting calls all day long asking if they have it.
Have to wonder what the time lag is between artificial popularity due to advertising and real world, word-of-mouth correction.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I am torn towards Starbucks baristas. On the one hand, they have often been nice enough to let me use the bathroom shortly before closing, even if it means having to clean it up again. On the other extreme, sometimes they blast the music to a degree that I can barely hear myself think , let alone talk with someone else.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2
