What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I think it has to see with administrative/political decisions to incorporate : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unincorporated_area and different countries have different systems of organization and different levels of government.zoobyshoe said:Actually, upon checking, I discovered that cities immediately to our east are not considered part of San Diego, despite often being referred to as "suburbs." In other words, I have been erroneously assuming their libraries were just branches of our system. A person could, in fact, move to say, La Mesa, Ca., which is outside our library system, and still live close enough to drive back to use the library here.
Although the library system extends farther North than I ever go, it is bounded to the West by the ocean and to the South by Mexico. It does not, however, extend as far East as I had assumed:
https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/defa...brary/pdf/2012/librariesbycouncildistrict.pdf
There is also this strange situation where the city immediately south of San Diego, National City, seems to be excluded from our system, but the city south of that, San Ysidro, is included. No comprendo.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
I'm one post away from a palindromic post count. Those don't happen every day for me. I should savor it somehow. Hmm. <Contemplates possibilities while scratching chin.>
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
I keep biting my tongue at this 30-something friend of mine who lives at home and is not even looking for a job, yet keeps spouting
things like: " It is all about sticking to it" , " You just need to put in the work" , etc. , while laying his behind on the couch while surfing his TV and chomping down on food his mom bought for him.
things like: " It is all about sticking to it" , " You just need to put in the work" , etc. , while laying his behind on the couch while surfing his TV and chomping down on food his mom bought for him.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Kirk Douglas and Jerry Lewis are not dead yet. There are, in fact, a lot of people who aren't.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Only thing Toffler seems to have missed was the public wanting and demanding control over its data, a valuable resource most people give away for free, either implicitly or explicitly, as in the naive belief that Google is free. EDIT: Toffler is dead, though ;). EDIT2: Smiley is because of Zoobyshoe's comment, not laughing at Toffler's death last June.
Last edited:
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
After the new season of Better Call Saul opened with two lukewarm episodes, tonight it suddenly surged to full boil. I was so worried the writers had lost their mojo but tonight everything became intensely interesting.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wow, what a sense of entitlement! This woman walks into this small-business, self-serve cafe where I was having lunch, during a busy time, puts her things on a table (and one in the center, not one in a corner) , picks up some 100+ napkins, starts wiping all sorts of food containers she brought with her in her backpack clean with the napkins, taking up some 20 minutes during busy lunch time. Then she just walks out, not even thanking the owner nor any of the workers. At least she threw out the napkins.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Odd. Did she seem homeless? If not, then she might be someone who is teetering on the brink of homelessness. The food containers sound like preparation for some kind of survival mode. The "entitled" attitude sounds like a kind of denial of a coming change downward in social status.WWGD said:Wow, what a sense of entitlement! This woman walks into this small-business, self-serve cafe where I was having lunch, during a busy time, puts her things on a table (and one in the center, not one in a corner) , picks up some 100+ napkins, starts wiping all sorts of food containers she brought with her in her backpack clean with the napkins, taking up some 20 minutes during busy lunch time. Then she just walks out, not even thanking the owner nor any of the workers. At least she threw out the napkins.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Yes, I had not though of that, but it does not seem too likely since she was carrying a container from a blender with EDIT: some blender-shake of fruits, hard-boiled eggs and fruits, so she needs a power supply, a way to keep eggs fresh, e.g., a refrigerator , a way of boiling the eggs --stove -- and she did not carry the usual collection of bags many homeless often carry. She had a bunch of tupperware containers and her clothes seemed OK, albeit casual : sweats, sneakers and t-shirt, and she did not smell. I would assume someone who is risking homelessness would have more of a meek attitude( meaning, e.g. saying thanks and doing her thing less conspicuously in a corner), towards the cafe people so that she can ask for further favors, although maybe she is not "all-there" psychologically to do so. Still, I have the impression it is easier for a woman to get away with this than for a man (though surely a woman is more likely to be attacked and robbed, being physically weaker on average). But, still, you may be right, though , from what I wrote at the beginning, she may not be homeless yet..zoobyshoe said:Odd. Did she seem homeless? If not, then she might be someone who is teetering on the brink of homelessness. The food containers sound like preparation for some kind of survival mode. The "entitled" attitude sounds like a kind of denial of a coming change downward in social status.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Possibly extravagant speculation here, but the scenario that comes to mind is that of a woman who is walking out on a guy on whom she is financially dependent. He "wronged" her terribly somehow, and she has to break it off with him for her ego's sake, but she has nowhere to go. (Alternately, she may have "wronged" him, and she's being kicked out for that.) Either way, she's going back to the house or apartment when he's at work, or, some friend is letting her use the kitchen and bathroom, possibly even the couch, but it's a begrudging, short term thing.WWGD said:Yes, I had not though of that, but it does not seem too likely since she was carrying a container from a blender with fruit juice, hard-boiled eggs and fruits, so she needs a power supply, a way to keep eggs fresh, e.g., a refrigerator , a way of boiling the eggs --stove -- and she did not carry the usual collection of bags many homeless often carry. She had a bunch of tupperware containers and her clothes seemed OK, albeit casual : sweats, sneakers and t-shirt, and she did not smell. I would assume someone who is risking homelessness would have more of a meek attitude( meaning, e.g. saying thanks and doing her thing less conspicuously in a corner), towards the cafe people so that she can ask for further favors, although maybe she is not "all-there" psychologically to do so. Still, I have the impression it is easier for a woman to get away with this than for a man (though surely a woman is more likely to be attacked and robbed, being physically weaker on average). But, still, you may be right, though , from what I wrote at the beginning, she may not be homeless yet..
I agree that it seems logical that someone on the edge should be as nice and grateful as possible to anyone they impose on, but I have actually seen people who adopt the opposite stance. There's a certain logic to that: admitting helplessness can attract people who want to abuse and exploit your vulnerability. A strong sense of entitlement becomes their default prophylactic, both as an ego defense mechanism and a defense against being taken advantage of. It's ultimately not a good strategy, but people in bad situations often can't think very rationally.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Wonder what you make of this one ( no kidding). A generic van, i.e., plain , without any signs or taxi plates , stops in the street at around 11:15 a.m. on a Sunday, let's someone out and then someone gets in it, just by sliding the door, without any overt communication with the driver. The van drives along ? Just in case, I neither drink nor do drugs, so I was not intoxicated when I saw this.zoobyshoe said:Possibly extravagant speculation here, but the scenario that comes to mind is that of a woman who is walking out on a guy on whom she is financially dependent. He "wronged" her terribly somehow, and she has to break it off with him for her ego's sake, but she has nowhere to go. (Alternately, she may have "wronged" him, and she's being kicked out for that.) Either way, she's going back to the house or apartment when he's at work, or, some friend is letting her use the kitchen and bathroom, possibly even the couch, but it's a begrudging, short term thing.
I agree that it seems logical that someone on the edge should be as nice and grateful as possible to anyone they impose on, but I have actually seen people who adopt the opposite stance. There's a certain logic to that: admitting helplessness can attract people who want to abuse and exploit your vulnerability. A strong sense of entitlement becomes their default prophylactic, both as an ego defense mechanism and a defense against being taken advantage of. It's ultimately not a good strategy, but people in bad situations often can't think very rationally.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Was the person who got in standing there waiting for the van to arrive?WWGD said:Wonder what you make of this one ( no kidding). A generic van, i.e., plain , without any signs or taxi plates , stops in the street at around 11:15 a.m. on a Sunday, let's someone out and then someone gets in it, just by sliding the door, without any overt communication with the driver. The van drives along ? Just in case, I neither drink nor do drugs, so I was not intoxicated when I saw this.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
What did the person who got out do?WWGD said:seemed like it, though not 100% sure. Maybe a Craigslist-type, Uber/Lyft-type deal?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Was it a black van with a red stripe on it, driven by a black guy with plenty of gold around his neck?WWGD said:Don't remember too well, I just think he just walked out to the sidewalk and seemingly just went about his day.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
It's funny because I've never used uber myself, but I have seen a lot of people get picked up by uber drivers when I'm sitting at outdoor coffee shop patios. There is always an introductory conversation.
Therefore, the most interesting scenario that occurs to me is that this was a change of shift in a surveillance operation. Some organization, most likely the police, is keeping an eye on some business or place in the neighborhood. However, it could be private investigators or insurance investigators. Alternately, it could be organized crime.
Therefore, the most interesting scenario that occurs to me is that this was a change of shift in a surveillance operation. Some organization, most likely the police, is keeping an eye on some business or place in the neighborhood. However, it could be private investigators or insurance investigators. Alternately, it could be organized crime.
dkotschessaa
- 1,063
- 763
I think I found the key to understanding particle physics. Unfortunately it's not the key for ME understanding it.
The secret is to start early!
The secret is to start early!
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,741
'Been playing the video game Prey over the last day or two (the 2017 title, not to be confused with the 2006 one by the same name). I'm maybe about half way through.
So far so good.
So far so good.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ouch, re the last one. Will pretend to not notice just in case.zoobyshoe said:It's funny because I've never used uber myself, but I have seen a lot of people get picked up by uber drivers when I'm sitting at outdoor coffee shop patios. There is always an introductory conversation.
Therefore, the most interesting scenario that occurs to me is that this was a change of shift in a surveillance operation. Some organization, most likely the police, is keeping an eye on some business or place in the neighborhood. However, it could be private investigators or insurance investigators. Alternately, it could be organized crime.
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
The surveillance scenario is offered as the most interesting one I could think of that is also plausible.WWGD said:Ouch, re the last one. Will pretend to not notice just in case.
It could be something else, like there happens to be a guy with a van who has enough free time to drive a couple relatives to and from work, and they happen to work at the same place but on successive shifts. They didn't say anything to the driver because the whole pick-up/drop-off has become too routine.
It could also be that it was an uber driver but there was no conversation between the driver and the guy who got in because the guy who got in was deaf. Presumably, he would have texted that information ahead when he contracted for the ride. The guy who got out would have said thanks and goodbye before he opened the door.
In any event, I agree there was something odd about the scene you describe and I, too, would have wondered what was going on.
- 13,926
- 16,804
You posted that five times in five minutes, so at a rate of r=1/minute, implying a doubling time of 72 minutes by this law. Seems solid to me.WWGD said:Interesting comment overheard at Starbucks: "The law of 72, that to calculate the doubling time with rate r, you divide 72 by r, was invented by the greatest mathematician of all, Albert Einstein"
Edit: WWGD has deleted four of the five duplicate posts, leaving the above orphaned punchline. I'm not going to be appreciated in my own lifetime, am I...?
Last edited:
zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Apparently its a very common meme to attribute this tool to Einstein. For example:WWGD said:Interesting comment overheard at Starbucks: "The law of 72, that to calculate the doubling time with rate r, you divide 72 by r, was invented by the greatest mathematician of all, Albert Einstein"
http://www.yourfriend4life.com/accumulate-wealth-with-the-rule-of-72/
But its veracity is "undetermined" :
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/einstein/interest.asp
No one seriously involved in physics or math, including Einstein himself, would support the "greatest mathematician of all" part of it.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2