What is the Normal Force Acting on a Chair with a Box on a Slanted Slope?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
BSCS
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to think up situations that will help me understand more complicated situations...

Let's say I have:

a box
on a slanted slope
on a chair
on the floor

The floor exerts a normal force on the chair. But, equal to what?

is it:

a box [tex]m_{1}gcos\theta[/tex]

on a slanted slope [tex]m_{2}g[/tex]

on a chair [tex]m_{3}g[/tex]

on the floor

Is it the sum of these?

Also, would motion of the box along the inclined plane affect the result? It would seem to be "no".
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, and it/they were getting complex, so I wanted to get some feedback. I came up with the force exerted down on the chair as having an x component and a y component (different from what I posted). From there I was thinking I could apply that vector to the FBD of the chair and come up with my answer. Is such a "cascading of forces" approach correct?
 
BSCS said:
Yes, and it/they were getting complex, so I wanted to get some feedback. I came up with the force exerted down on the chair as having an x component and a y component (different from what I posted). From there I was thinking I could apply that vector to the FBD of the chair and come up with my answer. Is such a "cascading of forces" approach correct?
Yes, from what I understand you to have described that is correct. Perhaps if you posted you FBD's we could comment further.
 
BSCS said:
Let's say I have:

a box
on a slanted slope
on a chair
on the floor

The floor exerts a normal force on the chair. But, equal to what?

is it:

a box [tex]m_{1}gcos\theta[/tex]

on a slanted slope [tex]m_{2}g[/tex]

on a chair [tex]m_{3}g[/tex]

on the floor

Is it the sum of these?
Huh? Are you describing one situation (a box on a chair which is on a slanted slope?) or multiple situations? What are those masses?