What Is the PDF of a Circularly Symmetric Complex Gaussian Vector?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 9K views
EngWiPy
Messages
1,361
Reaction score
61
Hi,

Suppose that an n-dimensional vector [tex]\mathbf{z}=\begin{pmatrix}z_1&z_2&\cdots & z_n\end{pmatrix}^T[/tex] is characterized as a zero-mean circularly symmetric complex Gaussian random vector. What is the distribution (the probability distribution function PDF) of this vector in both: complex and real representations?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of "circularly symmetric" in n dimensions ? Do you mean "spherically symmetric" in the sense that [itex]|z_1|^2 + |z_2|^2 + ...|z_n|^2 = c[/itex] is a surface where the PDF is constant? And can we also assume that [tex]|RE(z_1)|^2 + |IM( z_1)|^2 + |RE(z_2)|^ + |IM( z_2)|^2 + ... |RE( z_n)|^2 + |IM (z_n)|^2 = c[/tex] is a surface where the PDF is constant?

Is [itex]|z|[/itex] the quantity that has a gaussian distribution?
 
Stephen Tashi said:
What is the meaning of "circularly symmetric" in n dimensions ? Do you mean "spherically symmetric" in the sense that [itex]|z_1|^2 + |z_2|^2 + ...|z_n|^2 = c[/itex] is a surface where the PDF is constant? And can we also assume that [tex]|RE(z_1)|^2 + |IM( z_1)|^2 + |RE(z_2)|^ + |IM( z_2)|^2 + ... |RE( z_n)|^2 + |IM (z_n)|^2 = c[/tex] is a surface where the PDF is constant?

Is [itex]|z|[/itex] the quantity that has a gaussian distribution?

A complex random vector [tex]\mathbf{x}\in C^n[/tex] is said to be Gaussian, if the real vector [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}\in R^{2n}[/tex] consisting of the real and imaginary parts of [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] as [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}=\begin{pmatrix}\text{Re}\{\mathbf{x}\}&\text{Im}\{\mathbf{x}\}\end{pmatrix}^T[/tex] is Gaussian.

A complex Gaussian random vector [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex] is said to be circularly symmetric if the covariance of the corresponding [tex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/tex] has the following structure:

[tex]E(\left(\mathbf{\hat{x}-\mu}\right)\left(\mathbf{\hat{x}-\mu}\right)^H)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}\text{Re}(Q)&-\text{Im}(Q)\\\text{Im}(Q)&\text{Re}(Q)\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

where [tex]E(\mathbf{\hat{x}})=\mu[/tex] and [tex]Q[/tex] is some non negative matrix.
 
If I take a Gaussian distribution of the components of a vector to mean a multivariate Gaussian distribution and take the covariance matrix as given, is the question "What is the PDF of a multivariate Gaussian distribution?". I guess I still don't understand the question.
 
Stephen Tashi said:
If I take a Gaussian distribution of the components of a vector to mean a multivariate Gaussian distribution and take the covariance matrix as given, is the question "What is the PDF of a multivariate Gaussian distribution?". I guess I still don't understand the question.

That is right, but for complex Gaussian. Actually, I got the result, which is:

[tex]f_{\mathbf{z}}(\mathbf{z})=\frac{1}{\pi^n\text{det}(\mathbf{R}_z)}\text{exp}\left(-(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})^H\mathbf{R}_z^{-1}(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})\right)[/tex]

Now the problem with me was that, I read in some paper that the distribution is given by:

[tex]f_{\mathbf{z}}(\mathbf{z})=\frac{1}{\text{det}(\pi\mathbf{R}_z)}\text{exp}\left(-(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})^H\mathbf{R}_z^{-1}(\mathbf{z}-\overline{\mathbf{z}})\right)[/tex]

But knowing that:

[tex]\text{det}(cA)=c^n\text{det}(A)[/tex]

solved the confusion.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Ok, now what if Z is a circularly symmetric complex Gaussian matrix not vector, what then the PDF of Z?
 
From the appropriate point of view, matrices are vectors. What property would an nxn "circularly symmetric" matrix have that an n^2 dimensional circularly symmetric vector wouldn't?
 
Stephen Tashi said:
From the appropriate point of view, matrices are vectors. What property would an nxn "circularly symmetric" matrix have that an n^2 dimensional circularly symmetric vector wouldn't?

So, you are saying it is just like the vector case. But I have a formula in matrix form, and I am not sure how the authors got there. I mean it is like the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi^{2NK}\text{det}^KQ}\text{exp}\left\{-\|Q^{-1/2}(Y-HX)\|_F^2\right\}[/tex]

where Y is 2N-by-K matrix, Q is 2N-by-2N, H is 2N-by-M, and X is M-by-K. Any hint in this?