1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the physical dimension/unit of Probability current?

1. May 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question:
    What is the physical dimension of Probability Current for a particle in 1 dimension? (Quantum Mechanics)

2. Relevant equations
    Quantum mechanical Probability Current:
    07e268a6edab33f979b674b6b05b6d08.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the physical dimension of mass, that is kg. If I know every dimension, I can try some things and I can find the dimension of the observable. But now, I'm stuck. I guess that the wave function has no dimension, because it is very related to probability. But what's the case with $$ \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} $$?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Feest, :welcome:

m-1 I would dare to venture .... (on your last question)

4. May 10, 2016 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

But h has dimension of action. Taking Ψ to be dimensionless, j would appear to have dimension of velocity.

5. May 10, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually ##j## is a probability current density.

6. May 10, 2016 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just realised you meant m as metres, not mass. The question is for dimension, so I would answer L-1 there.
    But what do you think the dimension of j is, if not LT-1?

7. May 10, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

With $${\partial \rho\over \partial t} + \nabla\cdot {\bf j} = 0
    $$ where ##\rho = \psi^*\psi ## and ##\int \rho \, d\tau = 1##, I would end up with L-2T-1 :smile:

[edit] And now I have to backtrack to 1 dimension as cleary stated in post #1 (o:)) ending up with T-1 :smile:

8. May 10, 2016 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So here we must react also: It is related to probability in the sense that $$\int \psi^*\psi\,d\tau = 1 $$where the integral is over all space. The ##1## is dimensionless: a genuine probability. So guess again !

9. May 11, 2016 #8
    This is a nice question to answer. It took me some time but I think:
    ∫ψ∗ψdτ=1 has no dimensions.
    But as you integrate over space, and in this case this is one-dimensional, the dimension of ψ∗ψ is multiplied with [length]. And then ψ has a dimension of [(1/length)^½]?

10. May 11, 2016 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

An unavoidable conclusion, isn't it ? I never worried about the wave function having a dimension (always considered it as dimensionless) and would have liked to keep it that way. But -- unless we are being corrected -- this is what comes out !

11. May 11, 2016 #10
    So thank you everyone!

Conclusion: the dimension of the probability current is [1/time]?

These physical dimensions used to help me give interpretations to different physical quantities. But in QM, that's not (yet) the case. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted