What is the physical dimension/unit of Probability current?

In summary, the physical dimension of the probability current for a particle in 1 dimension, as derived from the quantum mechanical equations, is [1/time]. This is based on the fact that the probability current density, represented by j, is related to the wave function, which has a dimension of [(1/length)^1/2], and is integrated over space to give a dimensionless probability. However, this concept of dimensions may not always be applicable in quantum mechanics and should be carefully considered when interpreting physical quantities.
EhrEnFeest

Homework Statement

Question:
What is the physical dimension of Probability Current for a particle in 1 dimension? (Quantum Mechanics)

Homework Equations

Quantum mechanical Probability Current:
07e268a6edab33f979b674b6b05b6d08.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the physical dimension of mass, that is kg. If I know every dimension, I can try some things and I can find the dimension of the observable. But now, I'm stuck. I guess that the wave function has no dimension, because it is very related to probability. But what's the case with $$ \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x} $$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Feest, :welcome:

m-1 I would dare to venture ... (on your last question)

BvU said:
Hello Feest, :welcome:

m-1 I would dare to venture ... (on your last question)
But h has dimension of action. Taking Ψ to be dimensionless, j would appear to have dimension of velocity.

Actually ##j## is a probability current density.

BvU said:
Actually ##j## is a probability current density.
Just realized you meant m as metres, not mass. The question is for dimension, so I would answer L-1 there.
But what do you think the dimension of j is, if not LT-1?

With $${\partial \rho\over \partial t} + \nabla\cdot {\bf j} = 0
$$ where ##\rho = \psi^*\psi ## and ##\int \rho \, d\tau = 1##, I would end up with L-2T-1 :smile:

[edit] And now I have to backtrack to 1 dimension as cleary stated in post #1 (o:)) ending up with T-1 :smile:

EhrEnFeest said:
I guess that the wave function has no dimension, because it is very related to probability.
So here we must react also: It is related to probability in the sense that $$\int \psi^*\psi\,d\tau = 1 $$where the integral is over all space. The ##1## is dimensionless: a genuine probability. So guess again !

Likes EhrEnFeest
BvU said:
So here we must react also: It is related to probability in the sense that $$\int \psi^*\psi\,d\tau = 1 $$where the integral is over all space. The ##1## is dimensionless: a genuine probability. So guess again !

This is a nice question to answer. It took me some time but I think:
∫ψ∗ψdτ=1 has no dimensions.
But as you integrate over space, and in this case this is one-dimensional, the dimension of ψ∗ψ is multiplied with [length]. And then ψ has a dimension of [(1/length)^½]?

An unavoidable conclusion, isn't it ? I never worried about the wave function having a dimension (always considered it as dimensionless) and would have liked to keep it that way. But -- unless we are being corrected -- this is what comes out !

So thank you everyone!

Conclusion: the dimension of the probability current is [1/time]?

These physical dimensions used to help me give interpretations to different physical quantities. But in QM, that's not (yet) the case. :)

1. What is probability current?

Probability current is a concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the flow of probability associated with the position of a particle. It represents the rate at which the probability density of a particle changes with respect to time.

2. What is the physical dimension of probability current?

The physical dimension of probability current is represented by units of inverse time, such as per second or per nanosecond. This is because probability current is a measure of the change in probability density over time.

3. How is probability current related to quantum mechanics?

Probability current is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it helps to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time, which is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

4. What is the difference between probability current and electric current?

Probability current and electric current are two distinct concepts. Probability current is used in quantum mechanics to describe the flow of probability associated with particles, while electric current is used in classical mechanics to describe the flow of electric charge.

5. How is probability current measured?

Probability current is typically measured using mathematical calculations and equations, as it is a theoretical concept. It cannot be directly measured in experiments, but its effects can be observed and calculated using quantum mechanical principles.