What is the Polarization of the Reflected Beam?

  • Thread starter Thread starter H12504106
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beam Polarization
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
H12504106
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A beam of light traveling in air hits a glass surface with refractive index 1.5 at 45 degree angle. The light is polarised at 45 degrees with respect to the plane of incidence. Calculate the polarization of the reflected beam.

Homework Equations



Boundary Conditions: E[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = E[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] and [itex]\mu_{2}[/itex]B[itex]_{1}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = [itex]\mu_{1}[/itex]B[itex]_{2}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex]

Also, from the polarization: E[itex]_{I}[/itex][itex]^{||}[/itex] = E[itex]_{I}[/itex][itex]^{\bot}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



I apply the first boundary condition to obtain E[itex]_{I}[/itex]cos45 + E[itex]_{R}[/itex]cos45 = E[itex]_{T}[/itex]cosθ.
I suppose i can do the same thing using the second boundary condition. I don't really understand how to compute the polarization of the reflected beam. Am i suppose to calculate the reflection coefficient to determine the polarization. Also, how does the initial polarization of 45 degree plays a part here. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Split the incoming electric field (forget the B field altogether) into σ ad π components. The σ component is parallel to the glass surface. The π component is orthogonal to the direction of propagation and the σ component.

Then apply the rules for σ and π reflection percentage as a function of the angle of incidence.

This link is a huge help:
http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/ugrad/389/FresnelsEqns.ppt#257,1,Fresnel's Equations for Reflection and Refraction
 
Last edited: