Polarization of light after being totally reflected

In summary, the incident circularly polarized light is totally reflected at a 45 degree angle at the boundary between two regions. The polarization state of the reflected beam is likely the same as the incident beam, but this may be affected by a phase shift associated with reflection and the type of boundary (increasing or decreasing index of refraction). Further exploration and analysis is needed to determine the exact polarization state of the reflected beam.
Zolo

Homework Statement

A circularly polarized light hit the boundary between 2 regions at 45 degree and is totally reflected. What is the polarization state of the reflected beam?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since both s and p component are totally reflected, the polarization state of reflected beam should be the same as the incident beam?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a phase shift associated with reflection which may affect how the s and p components are combined in the reflected beam vs the incident beam. However that phase shift depends also on whether the boundary is one of increasing vs decreasing index of refraction. You'll have to study up on these issues and see if your reasoning still holds.

For example if, IF it is valid to view the reflected beam as the mirror image of what the incident beam would look like if it continued unreflected, then it would be the mirror image of a Left circular polarized beam and thence be a Right circular polarized beam (or vice versa). But is that a valid analysis? I think this question is intended to have you explore these issues. I haven't thought through the question fully myself, but rather am bringing up issues I would double check before answering. Some may be irrelevant in the final analysis. So don't assume I'm hinting at a specific answer, yours may be right, I just don't think you argument is quite sufficient to be sure.

1. What is the phenomenon of polarization of light after being totally reflected?

Polarization of light after being totally reflected refers to the change in the direction of oscillation of light waves after they bounce off a highly reflective surface, such as a mirror or glass. This leads to a change in the orientation of the electric field of the light waves, resulting in a polarized light.

2. How does polarization occur after total reflection?

Polarization occurs after total reflection because when light waves hit a highly reflective surface at a specific angle, known as the Brewster's angle, the electric field of the light waves becomes aligned with the surface. This results in the light being reflected with a specific polarization, either horizontal or vertical.

3. What is the significance of polarization of light after being totally reflected?

The significance of polarization of light after being totally reflected lies in its various applications. It is used in polarizing filters, which are used in sunglasses, cameras, and LCD screens to reduce glare and improve visibility. It is also used in optical communication systems to transmit information over long distances.

4. Can the polarization of light after being totally reflected be changed?

Yes, the polarization of light after being totally reflected can be changed by changing the angle of incidence on the reflective surface. At the Brewster's angle, the reflected light will have a specific polarization, but at other angles, the polarization will be different. This is known as the polarization angle or the angle of polarization.

5. Is the polarization of light after being totally reflected always the same?

No, the polarization of light after being totally reflected is not always the same. It depends on the angle of incidence and the properties of the reflective surface. For example, a metal surface will have a different angle of polarization compared to a non-metallic surface. Additionally, the polarization may also change if the light is reflected multiple times or passes through multiple layers of different materials.