1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation perpendicularly incident to a surface

1. Nov 17, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider radiation perpendicularly incident to a plane whose index of refraction is n. Show that the reflected wave can be eliminated by covering the plane with a second dielectric layer with index of [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] and thickness 1/4 wavelength.

2. Relevant equations
    Boundary conditions: [itex]E_{1}^{||}=E_{2}^{||}[/itex], and [itex]B_{1}^{||}=B_{2}^{||}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Electric and Magnetic field at z=0 can be given by:

[itex]{E_{I}(z,t)=E_{I}exp[i(k_{1}z-\omega t)],E_{R}(z,t)=E_{R}exp[i(-k_{1}z-\omega t)]},{B_{I}(z,t)=\frac{1}{v_{1}}E_{I}exp[i(k_{1}z-\omega t)],B_{R}(z,t)=\frac{1}{v_{1}}E_{R}exp[i(-k_{1}z-\omega t)]}[/itex]

For 0<z<[itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex]:

[itex]{E_{i}(z,t)=E_{i}exp[i(k_{2}z-\omega t)],E_{r}(z,t)=E_{r}exp[i(-k_{2}z-\omega t)]},{B_{i}(z,t)=\frac{1}{v_{1}}E_{i}exp[i(k_{2}z-\omega t)],B_{r}(z,t)=\frac{1}{v_{1}}E_{r}exp[i(-k_{2}z-\omega t)]}[/itex]

For z>[itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex]:

[itex]{E_{T}(z,t)=E_{T}exp[i(k_{3}z-\omega t)]},{B_{T}(z,t)=\frac{1}{v_{1}}E_{I}exp[i(k_{3}z-\omega t)]}[/itex]

These boundary conditions allow us to find simultaneous equations for z=0 and z=[itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex]:

z=0 => [itex]{E_{I}+E_{R}=E_{r}+E_{i}, E_{I}-E_{R}=\beta (E_{r}-E_{i})}[/itex]

z=[itex]\frac{\lambda}{4}[/itex]=> [itex]{E_{r}exp[ik_{2}\frac{\lambda}{4}]+E_{i}exp[-ik_{2}\frac{\lambda}{4}]=E_{T}exp[ik_{3}\frac{\lambda}{4}], E_{r}exp[ik_{2}\frac{\lambda}{4}]-E_{i}exp[-ik_{2}\frac{\lambda}{4}]=\alpha E_{T}exp[ik_{3}\frac{\lambda}{4}]}[/itex]

Here, [itex]\alpha =\frac{v_{2}}{v_{3}}[/itex], [itex]\beta =\frac{v_{1}}{v_{2}}[/itex]

I have done plenty of algebra to find [itex]E_{I}[/itex] in terms of [itex]E_{R}[/itex], but this seems to require more information than I have. I am just not seeing the end from here, does anyone have a suggestion on where to go from this point?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2
    I can offer only limited help !!! I do not know where √n comes into the full mathematical analysis BUT, at my level, it is easy to show that the film needs to be λ/4 thick.
    Here goes: Light from the low n to high n interface undergoes a phase shift of ∏ (λ/2)
    Light striking the high n to low n interface does not undergo a phase shift.
    In this example BOTH reflections undergo a λ/2 phase shift because both are from low n to high n.
    To eliminate the reflected wave needs interference between the 2 reflected waves and the phase shift must be λ/2 (or 3λ/2, 5λ/2 ....etc).
    This means that the film must be λ/4 thick ...light travels there and back through the film.
    That is the level of my understanding !!!!
    Hope it helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook