What Is the Power of a Sound Source Emitting 80dB at 30m?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DylanB
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DylanB
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A sound source emits uniformly in all directions. It produces a sound level of 80dB at a distance 30m. What is the power of the emitting source. (W)

Homework Equations



dB = 10log(I/Io)

Io = 10^(-12) W/m^2

I = P/A


The Attempt at a Solution



80dB = 10^(-4) W/m^2

sound disperses in a sphere..

I = P/(4*pi*r^2)

P = 10^(-4)*4*pi*(30)^2

= 1.13W


This answer is not listed, although multiples of it, 2.26, 3.39, 4.52 are choices.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
oo well, I think you did it right. I also get same thing =P
See the answers carefully , you will notice that a) is 13 and things on left side are erased, so it must be 1. on the left!

Anyways, good luck with the exam tomorrow!

P.S. funny how I also got stuck on the same question.
 
ah i see it. I found it odd that I was getting a wrong answer for the easiest question on the exam. thought maybe Rohan was playing tricks on me.

yeah good luck yourself (seems to be a good share of waterloo students here), no more bell curve anymore to take away the wrong answers!