What is the power output in kW for this measurement?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Inquiring_Mike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
Inquiring_Mike
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


We used a watt-hour meter in a lab, 400 revolutions of the dial = 1kWh. We measured the time for 10 revolutions of the dial ( in seconds).
How would I calculate the power?

Time for 10 revs = 146s

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Power = (3600s/hr) / (146s) * (10/400) *1kWh = 0.62069 W ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does one mean Time for 10 revs = 146s or 146 revs in 10 s?
 
... After some more thinking...I think it should be 0.62069 kW. Would this be correct?
 
Any help would be very much appreciated... :)
 
Inquiring_Mike said:
... After some more thinking...I think it should be 0.62069 kW. Would this be correct?

Yes, but I calculate 0.6164 kW.

Take (1 kWh)/(400 revs)*(10 revs/ 146 s) * 3600 s/h = ______ kW.

The unit kWh is simply power (kW) * time (hours) = energy. 1 kW-s = 1 kJ, so 1 kWh = 3600 kJ.