Torque in Wind Turbines: Calculating Power Output

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of torque in a HAWT using a rope brake dynamometer setup with a blower. The turbine's free wheeling characteristics were calculated by applying load in steps of 10 gm and noting the corresponding RPM (310 RPM). The swept area of the turbine is 0.1256 m squared and the power available in the wind is 9.6125 watts. From the measurements, the torque was calculated to be 0.00088 Nm and the power produced was 0.0304 watts. The conversation also mentions the low efficiency of the turbine and suggests using a spreadsheet to plot graphs for different data points.
sundaravadivel
【 mod note: moved to H/W forum so homework template is absent 】

Dear all
i am trying to calculate torque in HAWT from the measurements using Rope brake dynamometer set up with a blower. i had wound a string over the turbine shaft. The string is connected to a spring balance on its one end and the other end have provisions to add weights.
firstly i'd calculated the turbine free wheeling characteristics ie.. i allowed the turbine rotor to rotate due to blower wind (5m/s) and i applied load in steps of 10 gm and correspondingly I've noted the RPM (310 RPM). When a particular load is reached (200 grams) , the turbine shaft, does not able to overcome the load and stop its rotation. The blade length is 20 cm (0.2 m).
The swept area = pi*r (squared) = 3.14*0.2*0.2 = 0.1256 m squared.
Power available in wind is = 1/2 rho A V cubed= 0.5*1.225*5*5*5 = 9.6125 watts

from the measurements i got
torque = (load - spring bal. reading)*9.81*(radius of shaft +radius of rope)
torque (Nm) = (0.01-0.001)*9.81*0.011 = 0.00088Nm

power produced = torque *angular velocity=0.00088*31.34= 0.0304 watts

The power produced is very much lower than power available (Cp is very low). where i am going wrong,,any one please help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation seems OK but...

Have a think about the expected efficiency of a turbine that has no load (or a very small load).

Work the numbers for the other data points and see what you get. I'd use a spreadsheet so you can plot some graphs later.

What is torque in wind turbines?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force that is exerted on an object. In wind turbines, torque is the force that is applied by the wind on the blades, causing them to rotate.

How is torque calculated in wind turbines?

The torque in wind turbines can be calculated by multiplying the force of the wind by the distance from the center of rotation to the point where the force is applied. This is known as the lever arm or moment arm.

What factors affect the torque in wind turbines?

The main factors that affect torque in wind turbines are wind speed, blade length, and air density. Higher wind speeds and longer blades result in higher torque, while denser air can also increase torque.

How does torque affect power output in wind turbines?

The amount of torque in a wind turbine is directly related to its power output. A higher torque will result in a higher rotation speed of the blades, which in turn generates more electricity.

Can torque be controlled in wind turbines?

Yes, torque can be controlled in wind turbines through the use of a gearbox. The gearbox can adjust the speed of the blades to optimize the torque and power output based on the wind conditions.