What Is the Probability of Particle Ionization in a Shifted Finite Square Well?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
photomagnetic
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider a particle of mass m in the ground state of a potential well of width 2 a and depth.
the particle was in the ground state of the potential well with V0 < Vcritical, which means the well is a narrow one.
At t = 0 the bottom of the potential well is shifted down to Vo' from Vo.
The resulting well is deep enough to support two bound states with energies
-e0 and -e1 > -e0.
What is the probability that the particle will get ionized – that is, it will leave the potential well
by occupying levels with positive energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I've found the wave function for e0
and the 2nd wave function for e1

Now I have to integrate them (-a to a)
But this is getting outta control. Is there a trick? or I am doing something wrong because there is no way to integrate so many terms. Screw mathematica btw. I need to learn the trick. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You should not be integrating from -a to a. This would simply give you the probability of finding the particle inside the well if it is in a bound state. What you want to figure out is the amplitude (and hence probability) of the particle ending up in the bound states.
 
I'm pretty sure it's -a to a
"The resulting well is deep enough to support two bound states with energies"

[integral ( first wavefunction) (2nd wave function) dx ]2
 
The wave functions will have overlap also in the regions with |x| > a as long as the well is not infinite. Neglecting this contribution is going to introduce errors. This is why you need to integrate over the entire real line.
 
I suspect Photo is also chewing on the wrong integral. E0 changes to E0' when V changes...

Particle is in state ##|\psi_{0,V_0}>##, ground state for the V0 well.

V changes, bound states are now the wave functions you claim to have found: One even ##|\psi_{0,V_0'}>##, one odd ##|\psi_{1,V_0'}>##, right?

For a given state ##\phi##, the amplitude of ##\psi_0## is ##<\phi\;|\;\psi_0>##. As Oro says: from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##.

The other state is odd, so I expect that amplitude to be zero.

So there is one (admittedly hideous) integral left to do. Answer is then 1 - (that integral squared)

I would expect that finding the expression, not its numerical value, is the object of the exercise.