Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the proof of this theorem in linear algebra ?

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    hello, the theorem says :
    let V be a vector space over the field K , let { v1 , v2 , ... , vm } be a basis of V over K
    let {w1 , w2 , ... , wn} be elements of V and assume that n is bigger than m , then
    { w1 , w2 , ... , wn } are linearly dependent

the proof is written here but I didn't understand it well , I hope that you give me a simple proof :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, do you understand that saying "{v1, v2, ..., vm} is a basis of V" means that every vector in V can be written as a unique linear combination of those vectors? And, I assume you know that saying that "{w1, w2, ..., wn} are linearly dependent" means that there exist members of K, a1, a2, ... , an, not all 0, such that a1w1+ a2w2+ ... + anwn= 0.

To prove that, suppose a1w1+ a2w2+ ... + anwn= 0. Replace each wi with its expression as a linear combination of the basis vectors: wi= bi1v1+ bi2v2+ ...+ bimvm. The a1w1+ a2w2+ ...+ anwn= a1(b11v1+ b12v2+ ... b1nvn)+ a2(b21v1+ b22v2+ ...+ b2nvn)+ ...+ am(bn1v1+ bn2v2+ ...+ bmnvn)= (a1b11+ a2b12+ ...+ anbn1)v1+ (a1b12+ a2b22+ ... ambm2)v2+ ...+ (a1b1n+ a2b2n+ ... ambmn)vm= 0.

Because the {v1, v2, ..., vn} are a basis, they are independent and so we must have a1b11+ a2b12+ ...+ anbn1= 0, a1b12+ a2b22+ ... ambm2= 0, ..., a1b1n+ a2b2n+ ...+ ambmn= 0. That is m linear equations in the n "unknowns" a1, a2, ..., am. Because n> m, we can always solve for m of the unknowns in terms of the other n- m. Taking any of the am+1, am+2, ..., an to be non- zero show that the m vectors are dependent.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

there are many proofs.

one concrete one is to put the vectors into a matrix and row reduce it until you see there are dependency solutions.

another is to use riemann's "exchange" lemma, often falsely attributed to steinitz.

i have given another in my math 4050 notes ion my webpage.

most proofs proceed by induction. you might try making your own.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook