What is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment

  • Thread starter Thread starter pairofstrings
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    General
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
pairofstrings
Messages
411
Reaction score
7
what is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers?
I need detail answers.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org


pairofstrings said:
what is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers?
I need detail answers.

This smells like a homework assignment. Bad form.

But even if we told you in detail, it wouldn't make a lot of sense without understanding the internal workings of a microprocessor, how programs are compiled, and how operating systems are architected.

For the basics, here's an oldie but goody:

http://webphysics.davidson.edu/faculty/dmb/py310/8085.pdf

BTW: Flags == Status, Indirect == Index

Read it beginning to end.

For segment registers you generally have to go to 16-, 32- and 64-bit processors intended for high-end operating systems. x86 has them. 68K/PPC don't. They are associated with handling multi-tasking in OSes. I'll let your find that stuff.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I want to find out the internal working of a microprocessor and what microprocessors are made of, and want to find out how compilers work and how computers are architected. Can anyone please tell me how programs are compiled and internal working of any microprocessor?? I was studying 8086 microprocessor.
When a heading says "Internal architecture of microprocessor" does that mean that microprocessor has all those things(registers, ALU,BUS) inside the 40 pin package?
 
Last edited:


pairofstrings said:
When a heading says "Internal architecture of microprocessor" does that mean that microprocessor has all those things(registers, ALU,BUS) inside the 40 pin package?

yes. you need to do more basic reading. you are asking for a LOT of information.
 


pairofstrings said:
what is the purpose of the general purpose registers, segment registers, index registers, instruction pointer registers, and status registers?
I need detail answers.

Start with these two websites:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microprocessor

http://www.howstuffworks.com/microprocessor.htm

The wikipedia article has lots of links out to related info at the end.

After you read through those web pages, if you have a specific question, please post it here with a link to the related part of the articles.