What is the Q-value of the Deuterium (d,p) Reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dirtyhippy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Deuterium Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
dirtyhippy
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Express the energy (Or heat of the reaction Q) of the reaction (d,p) as a function of the binding energy of deuterium and the binding energy of the neutron captured by the target.


Homework Equations



Bn / A ≈ 8 MeV

Bn = Binding energy, A = Atomic Number

Q = E(reactants) - E(products)



The Attempt at a Solution



This problem is translated form a french paper hence the lack of clarity,
basically our attempts involved finding the Binding energy of deuteron is E=2.225MeV, and the mass of deuteron is 1875.628MeV.


This means that m(d)-m(p)-m(n)=2.225MeV.

and that's where I am stuck?

Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is deuterium the target or is it the product? Your question is leaving out some details. Also what is 'd' and 'p'? It is also best if you write out the whole chemical formula.
 
See this is on a french physics handout which has me bewildered as I'm not a chemist, but a little cross discipline never hurt.

I think the d,p refers to deuterium proton which decays to a neutron. I think i'll go see my Professor and ask exactly what he's asking and post it up as I can't seem to find this example or solution anywhere, so it may be of useful reference to someone in the future.

Could just be shoddy translation on my part. I suspect.

Thanks