What Is the Radius of a Proton's Helix in a Magnetic Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
PZUFIC
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Proton is moving in the homogen magentic field with B=0,1T. Mass of proton is 938MeV/c02.

How much is the radius of helix at which proton is moving, if his speed is 0,99*c0, and the angle between helix and magnetic field is 60°.

Homework Equations


y=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c0^2}}}[/itex]

r=[itex]\frac{m*v*y*sin(α)}{c0^2*B}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I have tried to solve it in relativistic way whith equations that I wrote, but the result is wrong. What I am doing wrong?

I hope the post is ok and sory for potential mistakes in spelling and greetings from Slovenia.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand where you got your equations.

Also, what do you mean "relativistic"? I don't think there should be any gammas anywhere in this calculation: all you use is the Lorentz force [itex]\vec{F}= q \vec{v} \times \vec{B}[/itex].