What is the Radius of Curvature for a Banked Curve with Ice on the Road?

In summary, the conversation discusses a civil engineer designing a curved section of roadway with specific conditions for ice on the road. The minimum radius of curvature for the curve is being determined using the equation ∑F=mv^2/r. The conversation also mentions using the known values of Fn and Ff to solve for r, with Ff being the force of friction and Fn being the normal force. The conversation ends with a request for clarification on the calculations.
Sabrina2372

Homework Statement

A civil engineer is asked to design a curved
section of roadway that meets the following
conditions:
With ice on the road, when the coefficient of
static friction between the road and rubber is 0.12, a car at rest must not slide into the ditch
and a car traveling less than 70 km/h must not skid to the outside of the curve.
What is the minimum radius of curvature of the curve? Answer in units of m[/B]

Homework Equations

∑F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

FnsinΘ+ FfcosΘ= mv^2 /r
Then I went to the y direction to find Fn and got
Fn=(mg+FfsinΘ/cosΘ)
When I tried to get Ff out of the equation, I ended up subbing it for (μFnsinΘ/cosΘ)
But then I still have Fn in the equation!
This is really confusing me and the homework is due tonight so please help![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two different car speeds you can use. This allows to solve for r and Θ, all other parameters are known or cancel out.

@mfb I did solve for theta and got the right answer, 6.842773413 however I'm not sure on how to find r. Is my formula correct? What is the next step I need to take, in order to get read of my Forces?

You know Fn (as function of m) and you can calculate Ff with your known angle. I guess this is the force from friction?
Then r is the only unknown value in the equation.

If it is still unclear, please post all your calculations so I can see what went wrong.

This is my FBD if that clears anything up at all. Ff is my Friction force, yes. I don't know Fn independent of Ff because there are three forces in the y direction.

Attachments

• -8.jpg
    -8.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 538
I would expect to see a body on a tilted plane in that picture, otherwise it is hard to understand.
Friction is not independent of the normal force, they are linked via the coefficient of friction (that equation is in post 1).

1. What is the definition of "Radius of Banked Curve"?

The radius of a banked curve is the distance from the center of the curvature to the point where the road surface meets the banked curve.

2. How is the radius of a banked curve determined?

The radius of a banked curve is determined using the speed of the vehicle, the angle of the banked curve, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

3. Why is the radius of a banked curve important?

The radius of a banked curve is important because it helps determine the necessary speed for a vehicle to safely navigate the curve without skidding or sliding off the road.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of a banked curve and the speed of the vehicle?

The radius of a banked curve is directly proportional to the speed of the vehicle. In other words, as the speed increases, the radius of the curve must also increase in order to maintain a safe and stable turn.

5. How does the angle of a banked curve affect the radius?

The angle of a banked curve is inversely proportional to the radius. This means that as the angle of the curve increases, the radius must decrease in order to maintain a safe and stable turn at a given speed.