What Is the Rank of the Product of Two Matrices?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
JG89
Messages
724
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Let A be an m * n matrix with rank m and B be an n * p matrix with rank n. Determine the rank of AB. Justify your answer.





Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution





I don't really know where to start off, but I have some things that might help me. I know that the rank of a matrix is equal to the number of linearly independent rows in it, and I also know that if A and B are two matrices, then rank(AB) <= rank(A) and also rank(AB) <= rank(B).

I'm sure if I was given a push in the right direction I could solve this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relation between the rank of a matrix and the dimension of the image?