What is the rating of the bulb?

In summary, if you want to power a bulb with a 1.5VDC battery, you need to connect it in series with the generator.
TheDanny

Homework Statement

Given a 24VDC Generator, a 12VDC Battery(Discharged), a bulb(no rating yet), pieces of thick wires(unlimited length you can use)

You need the 24VDC generator to charge the 12VDC battery, but direct will damage the battery. What should I do with the bulb? I need to build a circuit to charge the battery with 24v generator and a bulb is used and what is the rating of the bulb?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to fix it parallel but the voltage will be still the same to the battery. What other solution? in figure A.

Figure B. Is the bulb going to light up with both battery same rating 1.5VDC and different rating with 1.5VDC and 4.5VDC.
[PLAIN]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3183/63973231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Taking part A
If a parallel circuit doesn't work, what other type of connection should you try?
There are only two ways of connecting the bulb and battery to the generator.

Last edited:
If I connect it in series, can the light bulb light on and the battery is charging?

Yes, no problem. The same current will flow through the bulb as the battery if they are in series. You need to have 12V across the battery, so if the generator supplies 24V, you need half of that across the bulb. Can you see what happens now?

Ok. That mean Part B if cell A is 3VDC and cell B is 1.5VDC, that mean the bulb will come on and with both 1.5VDC the bulb will remain un-powered because of no potential different?

Yes the batteries' will oppose each other, and if they are both the same (1.5V) there is no winner, no potential difference and no current.
If one is 4.5V and the other is 1.5V then yes, there is 3V to power the bulb.

Thank you for the answer. Then I solved my problems.

I will try it practically.

What is the rating of the bulb?

The rating of a bulb refers to its wattage, which is the amount of power it uses. It is typically listed in units of watts (W) and can range from 1W to 100W or more.

How does the rating of the bulb affect its brightness?

The higher the wattage rating of a bulb, the brighter the light it produces. This is because a higher wattage means the bulb is using more power and therefore emitting more light.

Can a bulb with a lower rating be just as bright as one with a higher rating?

Yes, the brightness of a bulb is not solely determined by its wattage rating. Other factors such as the type of bulb (incandescent, LED, etc.) and the design of the bulb can also affect its brightness.

Does a higher wattage rating always mean a better bulb?

Not necessarily. A higher wattage bulb may produce brighter light, but it also uses more energy and can generate more heat. It's important to consider your specific needs and the efficiency of the bulb when choosing the right rating.

What is the difference between a bulb's wattage rating and its lumens rating?

While wattage measures the power used by a bulb, lumens measure the amount of light it produces. A higher lumens rating means a brighter light, regardless of the wattage. This is important to consider when comparing different types of bulbs.