What will happen if the middle bulb burns out?

• Thread starter needingtoknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb
In summary, if the middle bulb in the picture burns out, the light intensity of the other two bulbs will remain the same in the ideal case, as the battery will continue to provide the same voltage and current to each bulb. In a not-so-ideal case, the other two bulbs may become slightly brighter due to a slight increase in voltage as the total current decreases.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

What will happen if the middle bulb in the picture attached burns out?

I thought the light intensity of the other two bulbs would increase since there is now more current passing through the two bulbs that are not burned out. Originally there is a current of I = V/R going through each bulb so the battery is providing a current of 3I. After the middle bulb burns out isn't the battery still providing a current of 3I and since the bulbs are identical shouldn't the remaining two bulbs have a current of 1.5I passing through each one of them.

As a result of the greater current they are each experiencing, doesn't that mean they also experience greater power P = I^2R and therefore become brighter?

My solutions manual says that after the middle bulb burns out, the total current will decrease so that the current going through each bulb will stay the same, but I don't understand how that works and why my explanation doesn't.

Attachments

• Brightness of Bulbs.PNG
    Brightness of Bulbs.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 786
Physics news on Phys.org
A battery doesn't "deliver" a current, but a voltage. Ideally a constant voltage, independent of current.
So, in the ideal case, the other two bulbs keep getting the same voltage, draw the same current and remain as bright as they were. (comparable case: if your neigbour turns off his lamp, your lamps won't notice)

In the not-so-ideal case, you can imagine an internal resistance (see other posts...) in the battery and the voltage will go up a little bit if the total current drops. So the other two go a little brighter.

1. What causes a middle bulb to burn out?

The most common cause of a middle bulb burning out is simply old age. As bulbs are used, the thin tungsten filament inside gradually wears away until it can no longer produce light. Other factors that can contribute to a bulb burning out include power surges, vibrations, and manufacturing defects.

2. Will the other bulbs still work if the middle one burns out?

It depends on the type of light fixture. In a series circuit, where the bulbs are connected one after the other, the other bulbs will also go out when the middle one burns out. However, in a parallel circuit, where each bulb has its own separate connection to the power source, the other bulbs will continue to work even if the middle one burns out.

3. Can a burnt out middle bulb cause damage to the other bulbs?

In most cases, a burnt out middle bulb will not cause any damage to the other bulbs. However, if the middle bulb burns out due to a power surge, it is possible for the surge to damage the other bulbs as well. It is always a good idea to unplug the light fixture if you suspect a power surge has occurred.

4. How can I prevent a middle bulb from burning out?

To extend the life of your bulbs, you can take a few precautions. Firstly, make sure to turn off the light when not in use. This will reduce the amount of wear on the filament. Additionally, using bulbs with a lower wattage can also help prolong their life. Finally, investing in high-quality bulbs and using surge protectors can also help prevent premature burnout.

5. Will replacing the burnt out middle bulb fix the issue?

In most cases, yes, replacing the burnt out middle bulb will fix the issue. However, if the issue persists after replacing the bulb, it could be a sign of a larger problem with the light fixture or wiring. In this case, it is best to consult a professional electrician to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the light fixture.