What is the reason for that tiny dirt?

• Medical
  • Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reason
In summary, Mister Sandman deposits sand into the eyes of sleeping people, and it can be an indicator of other problems. If you get so much crustiness that it sticks your eyes together, then you should see a doctor about infection.
Rajini
Dear All,

May i ask you all one important question?
Sometimes, yes, many times, we get some sort of dirt in our eyes (very light yellow color).
What is the reason for that tiny dirt? why one get it ? Is that really a problem ? Or if one works all the time in front of a PC will get it ?
WHat is the English name for that dirt?

thanks

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

Rajini said:
Dear All,

May i ask you all one important question?
Sometimes, yes, many times, we get some sort of dirt in our eyes (very light yellow color).
What is the reason for that tiny dirt? why one get it ? Is that really a problem ? Or if one works all the time in front of a PC will get it ?
WHat is the English name for that dirt?

thanks

Could you describe the type of environment that this occurs?
Your statement also mentioned "we" Are there others experiencing this?

Rajini said:
(very light yellow color).

I wonder if he means "sleep". That's the common name for the creamy "goop" that is often found in the eye. When it dries, it goes hard and crumbly and yellow.

And now, thanks to having to look it up, I know some other names for it: rheum, or gound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheum

I've never heard of gound, but I do know that "rheumy" describes the various liquids ones face gets filled with from a cold or allergies.

It is completely normal and harmless, though it may be an indicator or other problems, such as eyestrain from staring at a computer screen for too long (not blinking enough and too much squinting).

Last edited:

Hi,
thanks davec. I guess may be cleaning the eyes with fresh water may solve the problem..Actually i wanted to know the english term.

Here we call it sand. And its deposited into the eyes of sleeping people, by the Sandman.

Rajini said:
Hi,
thanks davec. I guess may be cleaning the eyes with fresh water may solve the problem..Actually i wanted to know the english term.

Is there enough that it needs cleaning? That could be an indication of a problem.

As a child, I once woke up with sleep crusted so thick on my eyeleshes that I was unable to open them. I had to stumble blind to the bathroom to wash them under the tap.:yuck:

There is nothing wrong about having those deposits on your eyes. That is just the dried remnants of the substance secreted along your eyelids to lubricate them. Basically, when you're healthy, it functions to keep your eyelids from sticking together when closed, and is a lipid solution, so also provides a barrier to keep your tears inside your eyes. When overproduced, you'll get some crusties in your eyes, perhaps when exposed to an irritant or allergen. Nothing to worry about.

If you get so much crustiness that it sticks your eyes together, then you should see a doctor about infection.

hypatia said:
Here we call it sand. And its deposited into the eyes of sleeping people, by the Sandman.

Mister Sandman
Bring me a dream
(bum bum bum bum)
Make him the cutest
That I've ever seen...

1. What is the composition of the tiny dirt?

The tiny dirt is made up of various minerals, organic materials, and bacteria. The exact composition can vary depending on the location where the dirt is found.

2. How does the tiny dirt get into small crevices and cracks?

The tiny dirt particles are often carried by wind or water and can settle into small crevices and cracks. Insects and small animals can also contribute to the dispersal of dirt.

3. Is the tiny dirt harmful to humans?

In most cases, the tiny dirt is not harmful to humans. However, if the dirt contains toxic substances or bacteria, it could potentially be harmful if ingested or inhaled.

4. Can the tiny dirt affect plant growth?

Yes, the tiny dirt can affect plant growth by providing essential nutrients and minerals for their growth. However, an excessive amount of dirt can also block sunlight and hinder plant growth.

5. Where does the tiny dirt come from?

The tiny dirt comes from various sources such as weathering of rocks, decomposition of plants and animals, and human activities such as construction and agriculture.