Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical What is the reason for that tiny dirt?

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    Dear All,

May i ask you all one important question?
    Sometimes, yes, many times, we get some sort of dirt in our eyes (very light yellow color).
    What is the reason for that tiny dirt? why one get it ? Is that really a problem ? Or if one works all the time in front of a PC will get it ?
    WHat is the English name for that dirt?

thanks

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2
    Re: Eye_dirt

Could you describe the type of environment that this occurs?
    Your statement also mentioned "we" Are there others experiencing this?

4. May 1, 2010 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I wonder if he means "sleep". That's the common name for the creamy "goop" that is often found in the eye. When it dries, it goes hard and crumbly and yellow.

And now, thanks to having to look it up, I know some other names for it: rheum, or gound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheum

I've never heard of gound, but I do know that "rheumy" describes the various liquids ones face gets filled with from a cold or allergies.

It is completely normal and harmless, though it may be an indicator or other problems, such as eyestrain from staring at a computer screen for too long (not blinking enough and too much squinting).

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  5. May 2, 2010 #4

Hi,
    thanks davec. I guess may be cleaning the eyes with fresh water may solve the problem..Actually i wanted to know the english term.

6. May 2, 2010 #5

Here we call it sand. And its deposited into the eyes of sleeping people, by the Sandman.

7. May 2, 2010 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Is there enough that it needs cleaning? That could be an indication of a problem.

As a child, I once woke up with sleep crusted so thick on my eyeleshes that I was unable to open them. I had to stumble blind to the bathroom to wash them under the tap.:yuck:

8. May 7, 2010 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is nothing wrong about having those deposits on your eyes. That is just the dried remnants of the substance secreted along your eyelids to lubricate them. Basically, when you're healthy, it functions to keep your eyelids from sticking together when closed, and is a lipid solution, so also provides a barrier to keep your tears inside your eyes. When overproduced, you'll get some crusties in your eyes, perhaps when exposed to an irritant or allergen. Nothing to worry about.

If you get so much crustiness that it sticks your eyes together, then you should see a doctor about infection.

9. May 7, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Mister Sandman
    Bring me a dream
    (bum bum bum bum)
    Make him the cutest
    That I've ever seen...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook